Skip to main content

1936 Phaeton trunk support

• Visitor
01 Jan 2008 22:15 #9040 by
Replied by on topic 1936 Phaeton trunk support
Hi Pete,

I hope these photos explain a few things to you on the trunk Prop.

The arm should pivot at the top of the trunk lid and stay "caputured by the mechinism that mounts on the body. When the trunk is open and you raise the lid to lower it the arm moves towards the front of the car to release.

There should be a coil spring on the swivel plate with the U shaped finger (missing in the photo) to keep things in contact.

Let me know if this clears things up or makes it worse.

Have a great New Year.

Jim[/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2007 05:18 #8983 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic 1936 Phaeton trunk support
Molasses....? Have I missed a shade tree secret?

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• stroker
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2007 18:53 #8979 by stroker
Replied by stroker on topic 1936 810 trunk support assembly
Jim Obrien- Oops, I think somehow you reply regarding the trunk support got wiped out by something I did on this end.

Two questions- First, does the arm flip forward when the trunk lid closes, and does the arm pivot, attached to the trunk lid, fall directly over the rack, or forward or rearward?

Secondly, does the swiveling plate with the U-shaped "finger" swivel on a point forward or rearward? Is there a coil spring to keep it in contact with the main arm?

Jim- could you please resend the photo you took, along with a dimension from the trunk sill up to the rear edge of the fixed rack stop assembly? Is the funny "W" shaped bracket to be positioned so the long end (single screw hole) lies to support the plywood shelf above the tire?

Anyhow, thanks again for your help, and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Pete

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2007 15:40 #8975 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic 1936 Phaeton trunk support
Sorry, Pete. I can't help with the trunk lid prop.

But bravo for referring to your car by its number. Duesenbergs are aways being called J-something, and Cords should get the same recognition. I've added Moonshadow's number to my signature.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• stroker
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2007 20:04 #8969 by stroker
1936 Phaeton trunk support was created by stroker
Gents- When I took 2241H apart in 2002 I removed the trunk latch support (only one, on the right) and put it in a bowl of molasses to de-rust it and forgot about it. Now, 4 years later I cleaned the pieces up, cad plated them and am trying to figure out how it goes back together and how it mounts to the car. The body wood was essentially powder, so I don't have any holes to use for positioning. Was there a "safety pin"-like spring to hold the little saddle plate against the rod? A photo of one correctly installed and some dimensions would be greatly appreciated!

Pete Rhoads, somewhere under 2241H

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H