Skip to main content

cat whiskers....window trim

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
19 Dec 2007 02:41 #8947 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Cat Whiskers
I don't know how bad your frames are but I have some of the material left. I think enough to do one or two. If you will give me your address I'll mail it to you. My phone number is above in my note dated the 20th.

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• redfred
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2007 14:50 #8934 by redfred
Replied by redfred on topic cat whiskers....window trim
I'm still waiting for my catalogue, but it looks like my old whisker frames aren't going to make the grade. Seems I'll have to start from scratch here.
I've heard of a La Baron Bonney kit for the '37 Ford that is adaptable. Just don't know if it's a Tudor or Fordor, or if I'm to just order the doors, or?
RF.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2007 06:27 #8933 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic New cat whisker strips
Jack,

I guess I wasn't clear enough. What you would be doing is cutting out new strips of cat whiskers from the mohair channel liner which you purchased to replace the existing ones. You don't even have to take them off the doors or moldings, just remove the old liner material and glue on the new. You might want to use a narrow point indelible black pen to finish off the edge of the existing molding around the window openings.

The item you need to purchase is in Restoation Specialties Supply's catalog as Part number G 100. Just cut long narrow strips of the cat whiskers from the mohair liner and glue in place. I used Goop to glue mine. It was a lot easier than bending new ones which I had to do for a couple.

If I haven't made it clear give me a call.

Tom

• Jack Richard
  • Registered
More
15 Dec 2007 05:34 #8913 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic cat whisker for door windows
I wish I could be as optomistic as Tom. Check page 15 of the catalog - the item M123 is a good replacement for the Cord whiskers. They need to be bent on a jig to the contour of the door window opening and the door window moulding, and screwed to place with little flat-headed screws. It is a tedious job but can be done easiest with a wood form the correct shape. Clamp the pieces to the frame as they are bent, you may have to cut the outer edge in multiple places as the sharper bends are done to allow them to fit. After they are fit to the wood form, remove and put in place on the mouldings and doors, secure witht the little flat head screws (I used stainles steel screws as the originals were way rusted). Good luck,
Jack

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• redfred
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
12 Dec 2007 14:55 #8886 by redfred
Thanks guys, I have a catalogue on the way!

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
11 Dec 2007 20:52 #8874 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Window felt
You will see the item I used on the left side of the top of page 31 in the above referenced catalog. It is normally used to replace the felt in window channels. I only use the side pieces as they are the right width to renew the existing garnish moldings for the Cord windows and the doors. You cut them out in long strips and glue them in place of the existing felt.

Whoever put the catalog on the site, thanks you.

Tom

• acdclubadmin
  • New Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 Dec 2007 16:04 #8870 by acdclubadmin
Replied by acdclubadmin on topic RESTORATION SPECIALITIES ONLINE CATALOG
CLICK BELOW FOR THE ONLINE CATALOG

www.restorationspecialties.com/2 ... %20PDF.pdf

Bill Hummel - Webmaster - ACD Club

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
11 Dec 2007 07:50 #8867 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic window felt
You are confused. I'm not talking about window channel. The material you would buy would replace the felt of the Cord reveal moldings and the doors. The material comes as a role of cloth that you cut in strips to replace the felt. You just use the side pieces from the role. The one that is for the tops is too wide to use. I hope this clears up the situation. If not call me. 707-442-7324

Tom

• redfred
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
11 Dec 2007 04:52 #8866 by redfred
Ah, you're speaking of the metal channels that the glass slides up & down in. I'm completely missing these channels, but have an old crusty one to copy as a pattern. The "cat whiskers" I'm enquiring about are actually the snap-in felts that sandwich the glass once it's rolled up. One half snaps into the door, the other into the garnish frame.
Thanks for the lead on the channels, but it's the flat felts that are in the shape of the window that I'm after at this time.
Many thanks, RF.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
11 Dec 2007 00:07 #8861 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Window trim
If you have a catalog from Restoration Specialties and Supply go to the page titled glass setting tape and liners. At the top of the page you will see an item entitled Mohair Channel liner. I order the one numbered G100 2-7/8 wide. This material fits in a channel and includes the sides and the bottom. What you do is cut the side pieces into strips and glue them in place of what use to be in the Cord ones. You can get two strips from each foot of the material so remember this when you are measuring for how much you will need. You of course have to clean the old stuff out of the Cord ones. I used goop to glue mine in. The edge of the my existing ones did not look too good, so I used an indelible ink marker to clean them up.

If you don't have their catalog you can call them at 814-467-9842 or 814-467-5323. Their address is P.O. Box 328, Windber, PA 15963. They also have other stuff like screws, bolts, etc.

Tom

• redfred
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
10 Dec 2007 02:05 #8845 by redfred
Wow, that's a thought. I got some old decrepid ones seperately (the car didn't have any when I puchaced it). Perhaps I can referbish some, and get the rest new? I'm all ears.
Many thanks, RF.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
09 Dec 2007 21:27 #8844 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic window trim
If your present ones are in good shape, other than the felt, you can just replace the felt. If they are, let me know and I'll tell you where to buy the new felt.

Tom Georgeson

• redfred
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
09 Dec 2007 17:16 #8843 by redfred
cat whiskers....window trim was created by redfred
Was wondering what trim package to order for the felt stips that outline the window garnish mouldings on my sedans doors. I've heard that LaBaron Bonney kits for the '37 Ford Tudor are as close as we can get, or is it the Fordor? Perhaps things have advanced for us in this field, and there is a better fitting alternative?
Windowless in Winter, RF.