Skip to main content

Newbie question on Hubcaps and steel wheel cracks

• Mike Markin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Nov 2007 22:24 #8681 by Mike Markin
Replied by Mike Markin on topic Newbie question on Hubcaps and steel wheel cracks
Thanks, Al. That helps. I appreciate it.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Al Hatch
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
11 Nov 2007 18:12 #8678 by Al Hatch
Hi Mike,

There is a very simple way to keep the hubcaps on the 810/12's and that is using nylon tie wraps. Four per hub cap works fine. You can use the clear nylon which is less obvious or if you want to get fancy, go to your local custom motorcycle shop and you can buy chrome plated tie wraps. Either are fine and when and if you should have your car judged, it should not affect the judging. Most of come to realize that the cost of replacing hubcaps are worth having them secured with tie wraps.

Your next question about cracks appearing at the center of the wheels. This was a common problem particularily with the standard wheels. There is tremedous side pressure that is applied to the center of the wheel when cornering. The more aggressive the turn the more pressure. Radial tires amplify the problem... Heavy duty wheels were introduce with the 1937 models which helped with the problem but to be sure even these wheels should be closely checked for cracks as the problem is more severe with the front wheels versus the rear wheels.

There is a California supplier that is re-popping heavy duty wheels for the 810/12's and I understand they are very good but unfortunately, I have not had any personal expierence with them.

CORDially,

Al Hatch, PNP

• Mike Markin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Nov 2007 03:12 #8669 by Mike Markin
I have heard about the Cord hub caps and them coming off. I also recall hearing about strapping on something to keep them in place. I would appreciate some clarification about this and any reasonable solution. Also, I have seen mention about the steel wheels cracking. What is the cause and possible solution of this? Thanks.

Mike