Skip to main content

A little help in Portland needed, please.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2007 17:20 #8937 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic A little help in Portland needed, please.
All that may not be quite as easy as it sounds. You might try Don Allen, the fella who makes the Gener-nator. I know additional circuitry is required to make the Startix work with his alternators. Phone is (541)902-2255.

Incidentally, as the moderator of this forum, may I respectfully make a small plea to all who read this to have the topic of future new threads reflect the subject. In this case, for example, "Help Needed In Portland" does not describe what the thread is about. Thanks!

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jack Richard
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2007 17:07 #8936 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic 12volt Startix
Does anyone know what needs to be done to convert the Startix to 12 volts? I assume the coils would have to be rewound, any suggestions as to wire and number or turns for correct resistance? Also, is there somewhere to tap the alternator to get input for the Startix?
Thanks,
Jack

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
11 Dec 2007 21:01 #8875 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Travel to the West Coast
If you come through Eureka, CA give me a call.

Tom Georgeson

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
11 Dec 2007 17:17 #8871 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic Startix
Right you are! I forgot about that! Now I remember how amazed they were when it happened. You will have to forgive me, I haven't driven my Cord for three years. I hope to drive it to Auburn for Labour Day, stopping in Victoria, BC, Monterey, Grand Canyon, maybe Rte 66, along the way. All the best. Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
10 Dec 2007 04:23 #8853 by Josh Malks
Sure, but your passengers never associate your pushing the clutch down with the engine starting. It's like a magician's misdirection --- they're watching your fingers for a keystart (or a pushbutton for the older folks.) Surprises them every time!

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
10 Dec 2007 02:29 #8846 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic Cord Startix
Hi! I have enjoyed driving my Cord more than 50 years. Most of the time I was using a startix. The last 5 years or so, I just used it partially! I touched two wires to start the car because my ignition switch had packed itself in. I did run the car for many miles and years using a 12V startix with my 12V alternator. Now that the car is just about finished its ground up re-restoration, I intend using the 12V startix as the Cord was supposed to work. I do hope I still have the mental ability to figure out where I got the voltage for the one terminal on the startix that lets it know not to activate the solenoid that kicks in the starter. (tells the startix that the engine is already running)
Josh. I didn't think on an 810/812 the engine would restart after stalling, unless the clutch was depressed??
All the best, Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2007 01:56 #8830 by Josh Malks
Let me know when you find one. I can copy the factory (Eclipse Division of Bendix) service bulletins for you.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2007 01:48 #8829 by Randy in Portland
Replied by Randy in Portland on topic A little help in Portland needed, please.
thanks, gents. You have persuaded me into correctness. I will look for a Startix.

First Round, First Minute....Muhammad Ali

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2007 01:27 #8828 by Josh Malks
E L is correct that original is best and much of the fun. I should not have suggested that modifying the Startix is an "improvement", as Tom seems to feel. It's also fun watching the expression on new passengers' faces when the engine stalls and then restarts itself!

The real reason that I stopped using the Startix was that it won't work with an alternator without special modifications. Just got lazy, I guess. And note that I only suggested the alternative to those who "worry". :-) But I do have an original Startix squirreled away for when I get ready to do it properly.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2007 00:20 #8825 by E L
How about buying a startix, find out how it works or sending it to someone that can repair it, and having a slightly more original car. Half of the fun of driving and owning a Cord is the challenge of keeping it as built. These cars DID run when they were new. My startix has been trouble free for 23 years with minor adjustments. Many classics used them and they are not that hard to find or repair.

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
03 Dec 2007 23:00 #8823 by Josh Malks
Far better repair would be to install an original Startix. If you tend to worry about such things, use only the main Startix solenoid, energized by a button (conceal it) or a key-start ignition switch. You now have the reliability of a solenoid and the authentic appearance of a Startix.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
01 Dec 2007 20:52 #8819 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic A little help in Portland needed, please.
Hi Randy--it's not just Cords. I had a 67 Pontiac LeMans that did this in the wilds of the Adirondacks one summer. I had the key out, firmly held in my hand, and the engine was cranking away for dear life. Cause: stuck starter solenoid.

Since your Cord has been improved like mine--ie, Startix is long gone--repairs consisting of replacing the solenoid is easy AND inexpensive!

---Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Visitor
30 Oct 2007 00:57 #8535 by
Randy,

It sound like the solinoid is stuck. Disconnect the battery cable from the solinoid and try checking the continuity between the batery terminal and the starter terminal. If there is continuity the solinoid is stuck. Try rapping it with the handle of a screw driver to unstick it. It might free itself just from disconnecting the cable.

Don't worry if the problem disappears without you figuring out what's wrong...it will show up again.

Jim

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
29 Oct 2007 20:38 #8530 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Starts on it's own
Sounds like it's haunted!

Mark

More
28 Oct 2007 02:24 #8522 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Electric info.
Randy , Call Roger Von Bergen ,707-539-2556 ,give him your info & ask him.I'm sure he will point you in the right direction. Henry Portz

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
28 Oct 2007 00:45 #8521 by Randy in Portland
A little help in Portland needed, please. was created by Randy in Portland
All has been well with my 37 Westchester. I tried to start it today and it turned over but did not start. The battery became drained. I removed the Optima battery and charged it. Upon re-installation, I was shocked to see the car engine start turning over with no ignition key on and no dash starter button depressed (Startix gone, solenoid on firewall has been installed). I removed the battery and am now asking you. Any ideas as to what may be going on? Thank you.

First Round, First Minute....Muhammad Ali