Skip to main content

Cord--Searching for Dad's 1936 Convertible

• Dad'sCord
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Oct 2007 00:59 #8223 by Dad'sCord
Replied by Dad'sCord on topic Cord--Searching for Dad's 1936 Convertible
Jim,

This is great. I would love to talk to the person who owns the car. I will be out of town and away from e-mail for about a week, but please let me know how I might be able to contact the person who currently owns the car.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dick Lasselle
(<a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url])

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Sep 2007 23:27 #8221 by
Dick,
Luck is on your side. The Cord you are refering to is known as the Cord Comet. Hopefully you can fill in some of the early history on the car for me.

For you Cord buffs out there, the Comet is a highly modified cord. It does have a S/C engine and Cord drive train. However the rear suspension is a Cord stub frame welded in backwards. The body was lowered about 4 inches (there is a bubble in the hood for the carb). It has no doors, I don't think there's a top for it. There is a spare tire mounted in the rear of the body where the trunk should be.

The car is owned by a person in New Jersey. However it is presently undergoing a restoration in a shop about 8 miles from my house. The car is in pieces and upside down having it's belly worked on. I would guess it has two to three more years before it gets out of the shop.

Jim

• Dad'sCord
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Sep 2007 19:03 #8219 by Dad'sCord
Replied by Dad'sCord on topic Cord--Searching for Dad's 1936 Cord Convertible
Hi Henry,

Thank you for the reply. I found the serial number by looking back through Dad's old papers, and I actually found a license registration stub for the car when it was registered in New York State. The stub was pretty worn, but I could have a number or letter wrong. The car supposedly came from California in the early fifties, and it was highly modified (lowered, channeled, doors replaced with side curtains, lights covered up in the front fenders, etc.) --supposedly in had been used in a movie in the late forties or early fifties. We restored the car by making new steel doors for it and getting it to look more original. The car did have the original supercharged engine with front wheel drive. (I remember working with my Dad to polish the heads.) The car was red with dark maroon/red interior and a black convertible top. We showed the car in various local shows in the Albany area and then it went into storage until the early seventies, at which time it was unfortunately sold. I thought that when I just recently found the old registration stub, I might be able to locate the car. Dad passed away about twenty years ago, but it would be fantastic to locate the car. When I was 16, he let me drive the car a few times to shows, and what a lot of fun, especially with the electric transmission.

I hope that I might have provided enough information about the car to jog someone's memory regarding this particular car. Henry, thanks for your response.

Dick Lasselle

More
30 Sep 2007 01:15 #8210 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Cord--Searching for Dad's 1936 Convertible
Dick , Sorry, but the serial # you gave is not a correct serial # for an 810 cabriolet or an 812 either (S310046S) . Sorry. Henry

• Dad'sCord
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Sep 2007 18:18 #8209 by Dad'sCord
My Dad owned a 1936 Cord Sportsman, serial # S310046S. I would like to locate this car. Does anyone know where it might be?