Skip to main content

Who repairs the temperature gauges?

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
26 Jun 2007 21:38 #7324 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Temp. Gauge
Jack,

Great info. this the kind of way that club members can help each other.

Thanks, Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Jun 2007 17:47 #7323 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic fluid calibration
I have been looking for directions on this technique. My tempeture sender bulb at the manifold is missing, and the line to the guage is cut. I could solder a modern sender to the old copper 1/8" tube with a sleeve as in the directions.

They mention the "Ether" is flammable, no flames allowed during soldering. The temp guage on the Cord has a glass vial with ruby indicator fluid. Not the bourdon flexible band as in the Ford.

One thing that was not addressed is how to you get the fluid to read in the clear sight glass 210' gradient or will it expand to the correct level as the fluid expands when it reaches room temperature from the ice bath?

More
26 Jun 2007 17:46 #7322 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic repairs
Jack, That stuff is great ! I clicked on other headings & printed them too. Henry

• Jack Richard
  • Registered
More
26 Jun 2007 14:44 #7321 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic Capillary tube repair on temperature gauge
Being a devoted D.I.Y. guy, I have a link to a website that describes the process of repairing or extending a capillary tube for a temperature gauge:
www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Slate
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
25 Jun 2007 23:37 #7318 by Slate
Replied by Slate on topic Who repairs the temperature gauges?
Not to use in a Ford, in my case, to use in a Cord with a Ford flathead RWD conversion (probably a bad tranny since the Cord is an early one #1232S). It was a mid 60's conversion with now vintage speed parts (my folks bought it in 1967). When restored, the Cord will look as stock as possible with the RWD conversion.

edit: the guy for whom I am trying to find the information just has a capillary tube type gauge that he wants to modify for his non-Cord vehicle (and it happens that I need a repair service for my Cord as well).

The Cord gauge I have has a broken tube anyway - I'll just modify the inblock portion/length. It was the only gauge missing.

Thanks for the technical and contact information!

More
25 Jun 2007 03:39 #7316 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Cord temp gage
Slate, Why would you want to change a Cord temp gage to use in a Ford ? The mid thirties Ford gages(more available than Cord ) have the same guts as the Cord except the capillary tube is shorter (could be used in a Cord if you routed the tube down the steering jacket tube instead of the correct routing). There are several places that you can get the gages made to operate OK, including making the capillary tube any length you want. One of these is John Wolf Co. Willoughby ,Oh 888-309-0453 (Hemmings Motor News). (Cord length is 60") Henry

• Slate
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
25 Jun 2007 01:17 #7313 by Slate
I have someone who wants to extend a capillary tube temp gauge (if this is the right name) - the same type as found in Cords, but not for use in a Cord. Does anyone know of someone that would do this? I will need a similar solution to adapt a Cord gauge to a Ford flathead.

Thanks in advance.