Skip to main content

Fuses on the Cord 810-812

• stroker
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Jul 2007 01:57 #7418 by stroker
Replied by stroker on topic Fuses in the Cord
Michael- Thanks for your thoughtful reply regarding fuses in the 810-812. I'll get a master cutout switch and will be very careful when the battery switch is on. BTW, does anyone have experience with these new remote master switches? Such a switch would be very convenient.

Pete Rhoads

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
03 Jul 2007 14:02 #7384 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Fuses on the Cord 810-812
Hmmm--sounds to me that a rustoration like mine would benefit from the additon of an accessible fuse or breaker block.

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2007 00:47 #7311 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic Fuses
Hi! There is a fuse on the headlight switch. Also a spare. When travelling at midnight, and the fuse falls out, there are no lights of any kind glowing. The only light I had to guide me was the 18 wheeler, I had just passed at 70 mph. My wife grabbed the small mag light and pointed it back at him so he didn't think we had disappeared. I concentrated on how I was going to get the car out of the way of the truck and onto the side of the thruway in one piece. I guess I must have as the Cord, and myself are still here. The wife is still chewing me out each time we go somewhere in the Cord, so I guess she is still here too. I think additional fuses might be nice. How will you know the radio works if a fuse is blown? Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Jun 2007 21:44 #7298 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic Fuses on the Cord 810-812
FUSES?, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING FUSES, MAN UP.
BUT, SERIOUSLY, NUMBER ONE, GET A GOOD BATTERY DISCONECT SWITCH, YOU CAN MOUNT IT ON THE FLAT UPRIGHT BELOW THE FRONT SEAT WHERE YOU CAN REACH IT EASILY, AND GET IN THE HABIT OF TURNING IT OFF EVERY TIME YOU SHUT THE CAR DOWN, I AM SO USED TO DOING IT EVEN IF I'M GOING TO GET BACK IN THE CAR AND TAKE OFF IN 2 MINUTES I DO IT.
THERE MIGHT BE SOME FUSES BEHIND THE DASH PANEL BUT ITS BEEN SO LONG I DON'T REMEMBER, THE DISSCONECT SWITCH WORKS NO MATTER WHAT. I HAVE ONE ON EVERY CAR I OWN, AND USE THEM RELIGOUSLY. YOU WOULD BE AMAZED AT HOW MANY CARS I HAVE HEARD OF OVER THE YEARS THAT JUST CAUGHT FIRE SIITING IN THE GARAGE DUE TO A SHORT.
ALSO ON NEWER OLD CARS WITH POWER WINDOWS ETC. IF YOU DON'T DISSCONECT THE BATTERY, STILL HAVE A RESIDUAL DIELECTRIC CURRENT FLOW THAT WILL CORODE THE STATTOR (NOT SURE IF THATS THE CORRECT NAME, THE THING THE BRUSHES CONTACT) CAUSING THE ELECTRIC MOTORS THE SWITCHES, ETC. TO CORODE RENDERING THEM INOPERABLE, AND GENERALLY SCREWING UP A LOT OF THINGS DURING LONG IDLE STORAGE. THIS CAN USUALLY BE FIXED BY SPRAYING THEM WITH ELECTRONIC CLEANER, BUT OBVIOUSLY MOST TIMES THAT IS GOING TO BE A REAL PAIN GETTING AT THE AFFECTED AREA.
THE ONLY THING YOU HAVE TO WATCH IS ON MANY NEWER CARS IF YOU DISCOONECT BATTERY THE RADIO ANTI-THEFT DEVICE AND OTHER NEAT THINGS KICK IN AND ITS A TRIP TO THE DEALER TO GET THEM RESET, USUALLY AT A RIDICULOUS PRICE.
HOPE THIS HELPS.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

• Randy in Portland
  • Registered
More
23 Jun 2007 12:19 #7285 by Randy in Portland
Replied by Randy in Portland on topic Fuses on the Cord 810-812
Pete,
Yours is a question to which I look forward to reading replies posted by the experienced.

I am a newbie and will wait, on line, with battery switch and fire extinguisher in hand.

First Round, First Minute....Muhammad Ali

• stroker
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Jun 2007 22:02 #7281 by stroker
Fuses on the Cord 810-812 was created by stroker
Gents- The other night I awoke with a start after working on the wiring on my 810 phaeton- "Where are the fuses???" Can anyone answer how Cord can exempt itself from the whiles of fate and dropped screwdrivers regarding shorts, especially in such a Rube Goldberg design?

I'm interested in restoring this car to ACD judging specs., but not without some safeguard against my clumsiness.

Can anyone give me some guidance? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Pete Rhoads

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H