Need simple instructions to clean up a Cord fence

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
07 Jun 2007 01:58 #7158 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic on the fence about the fence
Bill,
The practical way is the common sense way polish the stainless, you can buy the best Dremmel Sears has with polishing compound for stainless with the polishing discs and your on your way. After your done remove the trim save the clips about .75 cents each nowadays, and have your body shop paint it. Single stage paint is the best.

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Jun 2007 16:45 #7152 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic ITS A SURPRISE
NOT TELLING. You will just have to show up and see!

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
06 Jun 2007 13:21 #7150 by Pat Leahy
So Bill, is this the fence for the Cab or the Custom. Will we see the rebuilt Custom at Auburn this year?

Pat Leahy

• Visitor
06 Jun 2007 00:41 #7147 by
Bill take it apart do it right ,it take about 20 hours and thats with new trim you know we will be looking at it in Auburn ,thanks Big T

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
05 Jun 2007 20:18 #7143 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic fence trim
I don't think you are going to be happy with the paint job unless you take the trim off. I doubt that you can tape good enough to avoid either paint on the trim or a paint line on the fence when you pull the the tape off. I just did mine and yes, it is a real job putting the trim back on. I could give more advise but call me if you want some.

Tom Georgson

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Jun 2007 06:35 #7137 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic ON THE FENCE
The fence has been removed, but the trim is still on the fence.

I was thinking about polishing the trim first. That way I could scuff up the paint on the fence and not care.

Then tape the trim and paint the fence.

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • Registered
More
05 Jun 2007 04:45 #7135 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic FENCE WORK
There is no easy way, It depends on the condition of the fence, whether you need just to polish or if your going to paint the fence polish first regardless. If painting -remove the trim after polishing, to much time is spent taping and when done it looks taped. Make sure you remove fence from car.

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
25 May 2007 05:21 #7083 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Need simple instructions to clean up a Cord fence
Bar Keepers Friend does a great job in the kitchen. I have found on several high end projects that hand polishing with Semi-Chrome does a great job. You might even take it to the next level and use a Dremel tool with a buffing wheel with some stainless rouge followed by hand polishing with the Semi-Chrome paste. I agree with Josh that taking it apart opens the proverbial can of worms which I think you'll want to pass on.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 May 2007 01:31 #7076 by Bill Hummel
The fence is now off. It is in pretty good condition but there are a few waves in it.

I want the stainless steel trim to really shine! Should I take it off the fence to polish it? Josh M. says NO! do not remove it.

I was thinking of hand-polishing the trim in place with BAR KEEPERS FRIEND which works very well and is incredibly fast on stainless steel. Then tape off the trim and repaint the fence.

How's this sound? I do not want to reinvent the wheel, so any tips are appreciated.