Skip to main content

Cigar Lighter

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
03 Jul 2007 16:37 #7389 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic cigar lighter
I am so glad that this forum with all the passion that members have keep diving into the authenticity of our beloved Cord 810/812. I believe that there where two lighters 36 and 37. The one that Henry shows here is Representative of 1936 and in 37 basically the same except that in 37 they modified it to include and automatic discharge and made a small radius change to the lighter itself. (see Doc Richards lighter in his reply).

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2007 02:37 #6918 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Lighter Photos
I believe that these pictures are of original Cord 810/812 cigarette lighters:
Lighter & socket:

Lighter:

Lighter element:

Knob end of element:

• Jack Richard
  • Registered
More
21 Apr 2007 15:42 #6895 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic More on Cord lighters
After more research, I decided that the lighters pictured probably do not have '36-'37 era elements. The knobs look like correct originals, but I don't believe the "pop-out" element and socket was manufactured until later in the '30s. It was patented by a company named CUNO, and became the basis for a rather famous court case about patent law, was ruled an invalid patent because the technology was based on existing technology. The "socket" for the later pop-out elements was different too from the earlier design. In any case, the earlier lighters all had to be held in until hot, hence the "cat eye" lens that transmitted the element's glow. The picture attached shows what the element looks like, the knob is from a Ford.

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Jack Richard
  • Registered
More
20 Apr 2007 04:02 #6890 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic cord lighter knob
There were at least two different lighter knobs and elements. The 1936 version had to be held in manually until heated element was hot, the 1937 version clicked in and popped out when hot, like modern lighters. The two knobs were slightly different, too.
[img

[img

[img

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• AceCollins
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Apr 2007 02:20 #6888 by AceCollins
Cigar Lighter was created by AceCollins
Does anyone know of a source for a cigar lighter? The one I have is a replacement and looks nothing like the factory Cord lighter.

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester