Skip to main content

Porcelain Exhaust Manifold Color Advice Needed

• Don C. Loux
  • Visitor
17 Jun 2007 05:23 #7228 by Don C. Loux
Replied by Don C. Loux on topic Porcelain Exhaust Manifold Color Advice Needed
Where did you get the parceling done. In the Bay Area somewhere? Need to have some done.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mark Tomei
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Jun 2007 16:06 #7222 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Porcelain Exhaust Manifold Color Advice Needed
I have asked quite a few folks about this subject. What I have determined for use in restoring my SC Phaeton is that while there were several non-SC manifolds in the brown porcelain, most SC's were black. The SC manifolds that I have were on a car that was parted out years ago. They were in excellent original condition even though quite a bit of the porcelain material was burned off over the years which was in fact black. Now redone in black, they will make a great accent to all of the beautiful aluminum and black components of the engine and engine compartment.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
16 Jun 2007 13:26 #7217 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Exhaust manifold color
My NON-SC engine's exhaust manifold have been off the car since 1950, and I have every reason to believe they are the originals. They are Brown.

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

More
29 Apr 2007 04:36 #6932 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Exh Man
Since 1948 I have always thought they started out black ! I had a non S/C Westchester then. My S/C cabriolet in 1950 they were black ( Bortz's ) . The S/C cabriolet I have now are black ( redone ).

• cordbuff
  • Visitor
28 Apr 2007 18:09 #6930 by cordbuff
Replied by cordbuff on topic MANIFOLD COLOR
My manifolds were brown ( about the color of a grocery sack). Before redoing them I contacted Glen Prey and he confirmed, from a NOS pair he had, that brown was correct.
Marc

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
06 Apr 2007 23:16 #6782 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic exhaust manifold
Of coarse my thoughts are all of the original manifolds I've seen on the sedans or convertibles non supercharged were of the brown color, now some say they were black originally and changed color through the years. Now I've own Cord cars for about 40years and had my manifolds redone then and they are still black. In collusion I say they more than likely were brown originally. The SC cars have always been black to my knowledge.

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Mark Tomei
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Apr 2007 06:39 #6772 by Mark Tomei
What would have been the correct color if you Porcelainize '37 812SC exhaust manifolds? I have seen them in black, blue and army green. Any thoughts? Recommended West Coast shops?