Skip to main content

1937 Cord Beverly 812

• Curtis Bartell
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2007 14:23 #6538 by Curtis Bartell
Replied by Curtis Bartell on topic 1937 Cord Beverly 812
Wow, Ten footer or not, what a striking car! Any body know what color that green 812 is? Please tell me it's cool orchard green! My 812 was cool orchard originally, and any time I consider painting it cool orchard green, the detractors crawl out of the wood work. I can't really say I've ever seen a restored car in cool orchard green. All that's left of my original paint is the fire wall and even though I've waxed and polished it, and it's in excellent shape, I would have to admit, in that small of a quantity it doesn't look all that attractive. I'd love to see more original colors, but I understand the additional expense of printing colors in our news letter. If any body would consider posting pictures of cool orchard cars on the web site I would love to see them. Understandably agog, Curt

"I've cut it twice and it's still too short."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
02 Mar 2007 03:39 #6489 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Cabriolet
Thanks, but it is all smoke and mirrors. Looks like a duck, but it ain't no duck!

It has an Olds 455 and a GM Hydramatic transmisson. Someone tried to hotrod it in the 70's. I am using my Custom Beverly as a donor car for everything that I need. The Custom Beverly has a fatal hit in the right rear cabin.

www.cordhaven.com/1937CustomBeverly

I am swapping the engine, stub frame and all running gear. I have decided that if I am going that far, I am going to go the whole way and do a full restoration. Since I have all of the parts I need, I am guessing I will be without the car for 6 to 9 months.

A good friend and fellow ACD Club member has agreed to let me have his Cabriolet for awhile so the shop can do a monkey-see monkey-do as they put my car back together. (I have to replace the firewall and floorpan.)

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Mar 2007 01:16 #6488 by Randy in Portland
Replied by Randy in Portland on topic 1937 Cord Beverly 812
By the way, your cabriolet is excellent.

First Round, First Minute....Muhammad Ali

• Bill Hummel
  • Registered
More
02 Mar 2007 01:09 #6487 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Not my car
That's not my car! My car is the black Cabriolet to the left.

I am just finalizing a contract to get mine restored properly. My 810 Cabriolet is going to be completely stripped down to the nuts and bolts and be rebuilt from scratch.

I have two Cords.

If I am lucky, the black one will only miss one year at Auburn.

The maroon Custom Beverly I have will never see Auburn again ....

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Mar 2007 01:05 #6486 by Randy in Portland
Replied by Randy in Portland on topic To Bill Hummel
Your car appears beautiful. Thanks for the post. With a car like that, I am sure you have many detailed images of it. By chance, are they viewable by me?

I certainly cannot afford a 300k car, but if I could find a nice 10 footer for 40, I am in the park. I will join the club you suggested and start learning. thank you again.

• Bill Hummel
  • Registered
More
01 Mar 2007 22:11 #6482 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic 1937 Cord Beverly 812
In my opinion the green one is a 10-footer. Looks good in the photos.

Over the past 5 years, I have seen piices bandied about on this website. I have seen 65K and 80K for nice S/C Beverlys. As low as 30K for one that needs work. They can vary quite a bit!

If you are a buyer then I think it behooves you to join the ACD Club and you will learn where the Beverly's are located. I think you can make a better decision after you have met everyone and have found out which ones were restored correctly and which ones weren't.

Beverly's go from 30K up to 300K depending on whether they are supercharged and how nice the restoration is.

Here is a 300K Beverly: About as nice a Beverly you will ever see.

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Mar 2007 19:19 #6480 by Randy in Portland
Replied by Randy in Portland on topic to Bill.
I don't have high interest in this particular car because it is in need of so much work. Can you guesstimate how much would it might cost for one that is simply a nice driver. A ten footer, if you will.

• Bill Hummel
  • Registered
More
01 Mar 2007 18:43 #6479 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Go for it
You will enjoy owning a Cord. If you want to turn heads, this is one of the few cars that can pull crowds away from Lambos and Ferrari's.

You'll get the best parking places at restaurants and you'll being driving a very significant automobile.

Contact the dealer and see if you can get the car's serial number and engine number. You can then send that info to <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] He can tell you if it is ACD certified and some history about the car. He's our in-house CARFAX for CORDS.

$31K looks about right. The car needs a lot of cosmetic touchups. Hard to tell what mechanical issues there may be. Interior cloth looks like velour or something. Rear mirror isn't right, You will probably find lots of little things wrong, but that is half the fun of owning one of these cars! You'll be meeting all sorts of wonderful and weird people on your restoration journey!

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Mar 2007 18:11 #6478 by Randy in Portland
1937 Cord Beverly 812 was created by Randy in Portland
Good morning. The link below will show you two of these cars that are for sale by a dealership.

I can no longer ignore how beautiful these cars are and am considering ownership. Can anyone please provide a short list of suggestions and expected purchase/maintenance costs that may be associated with these? Are the two shown low priced due to condition? Please advise and thank you, in advance.

www.gatewayclassiccars.com/displ ... cation=STL