Skip to main content

Temperature Gauge

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2007 01:24 #6527 by
Replied by on topic Temperature Gauge
Thanks for the offer Joel, but I don't think I need NIST accuracy for a Cord, a pan of boiling water works fine.

I'll let ET decide if he wants to pay the money for calibration to NIST standards.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JOEL GIVNER
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2007 22:59 #6519 by JOEL GIVNER
Replied by JOEL GIVNER on topic Temperature Gauge
Jim,

If you really want to know the accuracy of the placement of the temp settings, I would be more than happy to perform a cal on the gauge with a dry block calibrator with NIST certs at no charge to you.

For ET, the cost would be $125.00

JEG

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2007 18:40 #6517 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic TEMP GAUGE
Hi, past president Jim,

As you know I have been restoring these gages a long time, as long as you have water in the system it will read the temp. you can do it on the stove in a pot of boiling water(212) this is the best most accurate means. The length of the glass tube is 2 1/4" the capillary tube between56 & 57 inches the long wheel base car is two inches longer. Jim, the most important reading would be the boiling point of coarse. I have found that the scribe lines on the face of the gage are not accurately placed, of coarse we know that the factory advised the dealers to adjust the height so that the customer doesn't panic, Cord drivers still to this day keep a eye out when driving on the temp Gage. In summer months here in the Northeast I run on water from the tap and a good water pump lubricant, its a good Idea to have screens in the upper hoses.

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• e merancy
  • Registered
More
29 Dec 2006 19:36 #6054 by e merancy
Replied by e merancy on topic Temperature Bulb
Jim. my temperature bulb measures two and one quarter inches and I believe this is an original part hope this helps Ed.M.

e.merancy email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Dec 2006 01:15 #6048 by
Temperature Gauge was created by
Does anyone out there know what the length is supposed to be for the sensing bulb for the temperature gauge?

I had my temperture gauge rebuilt last summer and since then it has read low. If I pull it out and sitck it in a pot of water it reads correct. After a lot of investigating I'm wondering if the sensing bulb that sits in the head is too short to get an accurate reading.

On the other hand I'm thinking of leaving it the way it is...I never worried about overheating all last summer, the guage never got anywhere near 200 degrees :D

Thanks.