Skip to main content

810 CLUTCH

• stroker
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Apr 2006 17:17 #4621 by stroker
810 CLUTCH was created by stroker
Gents- I took my pressure plate to Boston clutch and asked them to rebuild it for me. He looked at it and said he could sell me a new Long pressure plate for $85, which I did. I bought a new throwout bearing from Stan so I think it's the right thickness, etc. It is now assembled into my 810, engine and tranny installed in the car. I assembled the pedals and adjusted the main clutch rod so I'd have adequate free play. Do I have a problem in that the clutch seems awfully light when depressing the pedal? I'm a 20's Packard guy who's used to a stiff pedal, so maybe the Cord installation is O.K. Climbing under the car and removing the access plate I can see the pressure plate, face plate and flywheel- when I depress the clutch the pressure plate moves about .060-.080"- I can easily slide a .006" feeler guage between the flywheel and face plate; releasing it the guage is trapped, so I think its working O.K. Does this sound like there is enough travel?

I want to make sure this clutch installation sounds O.K. before I put the front axles in- the procedure of accessing the clutch assembly after everything is assembled is frightening!

BTW, I'm the guy who was having trouble installing the front spring a few weeks ago- thanks for all you advice. I removed the spring and compared it with another rather original one and found mine had an extra leaf in it- after removing this leaf and reinstalling the spring I was able
to attach the suspension rods O.K. So thanks again!

Pete Rhoads, somewhere under 2241H

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.