Skip to main content

new pistons have machined cuts in them

• Barrie Hutchinson
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2006 05:54 #4494 by Barrie Hutchinson
Replied by Barrie Hutchinson on topic Egge pistons
EL is correct. According to Egge, although the pistons may be installed in either positon, the pistons are designed so that the slots on both banks are oriented opposite the thrust and therefore toward the "driver's" side of the engine. Another way of saying the same thing is that the slots are oriented on the lower side of the pistons on the left bank and the upper side of those on the right bank.

CORDially, Barrie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• danooo7
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2006 22:11 #4491 by danooo7
Replied by danooo7 on topic piston slots
E.L. Thank you for your input. It is my understanding that the standard Cord engine turns counter-clockwise (viewed from the front of the car) and so then the slots would be facing toward the passenger seat on both banks of pistons. Do you confirm this? My old Cord pistons do not have any slots at all for reference. I think my old pistons are original as they are not over sized. Did Original Cord pistons have slots in them? The reason I'm asking is that the only conflicting information regarding the slot orientation comes from a manual I was shown about Cord engines that state the slots are opposing each other and face toward the center of the engine on both banks. By my inquiries and general consensus and now your additional input this must not be the case and in fact erroneous. Thanks again. Dan

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2006 21:08 #4490 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Pistons
The slot in the pistons go opposite the thrust. Depending on the engine rotation the slot goes against the outside of one bank and on the inside of the other.

• danooo7
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2006 04:45 #4482 by danooo7
I recently bought new pistons from Egge Machine Co. for my 1937 Cord Beverly standard engine restoration. The new pistons have a cut on one side of each piston. Does anyone know the proper orientation to the rods of these slits? Obviously the pistons can only go on either one way or 180 degrees around on the wrist pin, but which way do the cuts face? I will call Egge but I'm not sure I can be confident of their opinion. Anybody have any experience with this? Your help is always appreciated. Dan Smith