BAD GEAR BOX

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2023 01:03 #46978 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic BAD GEAR BOX
Gentlemen,
This is not the the place for this discussion. Both your points have been made and the issue is between the two of you. I suggest you take this off line and work it out between yourselves. At this point I am going to ask the moderator to lock this thread so there will be no further posts.
Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bonanza
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2023 21:33 #46977 by bonanza
Replied by bonanza on topic BAD GEAR BOX
How can you support the gearbox sold was in good condition. Here are some pictures and details given by the mechanic who did the work for me:
We have some issues with the gearbox however.
Not tested before sent.
Oil leak from hole in casting as already mentioned,
Top actuating cylinder not working (old one working if placed on top and connected)
Solenoid valves not actuating at present while old ones do. Hopefully, we will get it operational shortly though.

More
20 Mar 2023 19:26 #46976 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic BAD GEAR BOX
I hate that this is being brought to the public like this.

I stand behind the transmission we sold and would be happy to issue a refund upon receiving the returned transmission.

Here is a copy of my email response to Jean on this issue. This is after many emails and lengthy phone conversations over several months. . .

As I mentioned on the phone, I wish there was not a language barrier so we could reach a little more clarity.

You have not seen the transmission to know whether or not it was in "deplorable condition." The transmission was rebuilt by an experienced technician who has built dozens of Cord Transmissions, using the best parts available at the time the work was done. As you know, these cars are more than 90 years old and new parts are not available. The transmission was tested on the stand and working properly. My feeling is that Julian and his shop were not familiar with the intricacies of a Cord transmission, resulting in many unnecessary hours trying to get it properly adjusted, and potentially you did not even need the rebuilt transmission to start with because the one you had may have been serviceable.

I don't want to disparage any shop, but I am confident if we would have spoken before he began working on it we could have saved you many hours of frustration. As you know he was not able to get it shifting properly until speaking with us on the phone. I wish this call would have happened before beginning work.

I still maintain that you received a rebuilt transmission in good serviceable condition, which is what you paid for. As we have said before we would be happy to give you a full refund if you can send the transmission back. Otherwise, I don't know how to help. (I know this is difficult because parts have been switched out for parts on your old transmission.)

This situation is unfortunate. Maybe you can discuss with Julian how he can credit you for labor spent on the transmission that could have been prevented with more understanding of Cord transmissions.

I want to help come to a reasonable solution for you on this!

Sincerely,
Adam Pray

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2023 01:06 #46972 by JIM.OBRIEN
Hi Jean,
From your original post , it sounded like you bought it from the ACD Club and were looking for the Club to make good on it. I just wanted to make sure others understood the ACD Club was not involved.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a vendor. I hope you get it resolved and get your Cord back on the road!

CORDially,
Jim

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2023 23:01 - 20 Mar 2023 00:23 #46971 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic BAD GEAR BOX
Jim there are a lot of sharks out there. Bill McLaughlin's recent wheel failure was caused by somebody who worked on his car or restored it in the past by welding up the cracks in a wheel. It could have been a case of lack of knowledge however Bill and his wife were very lucky they were not killed .
I realize it is difficult to inspect the wheels especially if the hub caps are in place. It becomes a case of buyer beware but you have to know what to look for.
Attached is a picture of Bill's wheel you can clearly see there were a lot of cracks that had been welded.
The second pictures shows the reverse side a different  wheel with some cracking. The wheel was eventually repaired with a solid center.

T cockerell
Last edit: 20 Mar 2023 00:23 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures and revising text

• bonanza
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2023 17:07 #46970 by bonanza
Replied by bonanza on topic BAD GEAR BOX
Hello,jim ,
I know that the club does not sell parts, but it seemed important to me to let the members of the club know that the practices of the ACDco firm were not honest
Jean

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2023 15:54 #46969 by JIM.OBRIEN
Hi Bonanza, The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club does not sell car parts or transmissions. I don't know what you bought but you need to go back to the person or company that sold it to you and deal with them.

Jim

• bonanza
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2023 08:44 #46968 by bonanza
BAD GEAR BOX was created by bonanza
Good morning ,The transmission that I bought from you as an overhauled gearbox, was in fact an old part in deplorable condition (see correspondence from Julian HCS).It is grossly dishonest of you to advertise overhauled parts when the part, as-is, was unserviceable.The least you could do would be to make a substantial discount on the price of the part.I am still waiting for your proposal on this subject.