Hood Ornament/Bullnose

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
08 Dec 2022 13:12 #46548 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Hood Ornament/Bullnose
Wise decision
Don't be in a hurry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wolfpline
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Dec 2022 02:30 #46547 by wolfpline
Replied by wolfpline on topic Hood Ornament/Bullnose
I have not taken it off the hood yet.  I am soaking it in Kroil until I am certain I can loosen the nuts without breaking something.  I'll report on what I find when I get it off.

Thanks for all the interest.

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
08 Dec 2022 02:28 #46546 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic Hood Ornament/Bullnose
Tom,
It is the accessories bulletins that I am missing #s1,2,8,19 &21.

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2022 14:23 #46545 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic Hood Ornament/Bullnose
I have an original book of the factory service bulletins. It has 57 bulletins for 1936 and 25 for 1937. There are 2 #30 bulletins with different dates for 1936. It has a parts list for the 810 and 812 at the back. Number13 is the only 1 accessories bulletin in the book. Is it the service bulletins or accessories bulletins you are missing?
Tom

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2022 06:26 #46544 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Hood Ornament/Bullnose
On the subject of Hood Ornaments I would like to know the story behing the one on the phaeton with the twin side mounts. I believe this rare Cord was owned by William Horning in Canada during the 1950s then it went back to the US and is now in the Museum in Auburn. A Kangaroo is an odd choice for a Cord in Canada.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2022 05:48 #46543 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Hood Ornament/Bullnose
Very good observation, the hood bullnose is on an early handbuilt so there is no telling what is happening, it may be a quality one-off prototype from the factory floor. It may have been discarded in production to accentuate the streamlining in later models and their lack of gutters, side mirrors, and a pronounced grille.

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2022 02:51 #46542 by john mccall
The top of the hood ornament wasn't offered until 2/2/37 along with the front crest. It had to be installed long after your hand builts were initially assembled.

Back to the initial question.
Russs, does the workmanship look factory? Take it off and look at the back side. Do the holes in the hood look nice and clean, with no burrs? Is the back side of the ornament smooth and clean?
It would be relatively easy to reproduce, but making a mold from scratch for a one off would be a relatively expensive project. What is your serial number/?Have you checked with Ron Irwin to see what your car history is? If he has a good history on your car he might know about the ornament. (He told me mine had 14 inch chrome wheels installed about 1952, and the name of the guy who did it.)

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Dec 2022 20:28 - 06 Dec 2022 20:34 #46541 by balinwire
  The cord ornament has two small screw holes maybe an inch 3/4 apart the Auburn is held by 1 bolt
Last edit: 06 Dec 2022 20:34 by balinwire.

More
06 Dec 2022 19:54 #46540 by pneflyer
Replied by pneflyer on topic Hood Ornament/Bullnose
See the attached photos of the Westchester hood
Attachments:

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Dec 2022 16:40 #46537 by balinwire
if anybody has a remaining hood drilled could you please post a picture for hole location recognition, pic was posted of the cord mascot in ACD museum glass case from chat.
Attachments:

More
06 Dec 2022 16:28 #46536 by pneflyer
Replied by pneflyer on topic Hood Ornament/Bullnose
Something very curious....I own the hand built 810 Phaeton sedan and an 810 hand built Westchester.  When the hoods were stripped on both cars, both hoods were drilled along the centerline for trim.

Mitch

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Dec 2022 03:28 #46534 by balinwire
The popular conclusion is that it is abhorrent to pollute the streamlined body lines of the hood. I kind of agree but it was on the original car. The styling of the mascot is very unique and the survival {breakage}, high, and use rates are very low. I would not discourage wolfpline from using the one displayed on the car, it is so very different and it really should not have a point deduction as it has a Cord medallion in it.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Dec 2022 00:01 #46533 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Hood Ornament/Bullnose

I once helped strip and part out a 1937 Berline many years ago and sent the rear divided and window and the intercom system out to a good friend club member in California. That Berline had the center and cowl hood strip and I thought it looked UGLY.

I believe I have seen both here in California. The top of the hood mascot is not attractive for my taste. I did like the Berline divider when I saw it. 

Gary Parsons

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 23:56 #46532 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Hood Ornament/Bullnose
I once helped strip and part out a 1937 Berline many years ago and sent the rear divided and window and the intercom system out to a good friend club member in California. That Berline had the center and cowl hood strip and I thought it looked UGLY.

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 23:46 #46531 by balinwire
If there was a way to ID the profile I would drill the hood, I found lots of hood center trims, some half-round, some rippled, one had one side spear pointed `but they would not meet at the base of the mascot unless there was a square cut. If you look closely t the artist's drawing in the booklet it shows the mascot on a pedestal with an extended rear trim—none on the cowl and front of the hood. If I had the correct Cord trim I would get out the Black and Decker and make holes.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 23:11 #46530 by uconn_1965
As a follow-up, the strip was drilled but missing on the hood. The chrome strip on the cowl was still there. From memory, it was rather plain. The best I can describe it was a plan 1/2 round piece of trim somewhat flattened. The best visual comparison I can give you it looked just like the center trim strip that I had on a1932 Desoto rumble seat coupe that I owned at the time.

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 23:10 #46529 by balinwire
Could it have been for an Auburn mascot, I have seen these on cords several times. I don't think there is a remote possibility of locating this bit of booklet unobtainium.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 22:55 #46528 by uconn_1965
For what it’s worth, I had a custom Beverly parts car 30 or 40 years ago and that hood was drilled for the top hood ornament and center strip both on hood and cowl. It did not have the winged emblem. Sorry no pictures.

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 22:47 #46527 by balinwire
So that makes me assume that there was never a center strip, it was very common to have retouched photos in newspapers and ads. It would have been way too much trouble to be drilling holes in customers' hoods at the dealer for a center trim. Besides they catch treads in cleaning towels and can be broken off and clips cause rust. Please post pictures of what you found in the box to solve this mystery.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 22:34 #46526 by uconn_1965
Nope….I’m guessing the wooden box rack was about 10” x 10” x 10”.

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 22:16 #46525 by balinwire
was there a center strip in the box?

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 22:13 #46524 by uconn_1965
When I stopped in at the pickle factory 7 or 8 years ago, I met with Felix and one of the things I bought was the complete top hood ornament. If memory serves me correctly, there were 2 or 3 more hood ornaments in the wooden parts bin that I found the one i purchased.

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 21:57 #46523 by balinwire
I could make up a cast base and center strip but all I have to go on is the illustration in the accessory manual. I would have made a center strip but the ornament has a sloped rear that looks like it was designed for a base. The car is about as original as you can get and there were no holes drilled for a center strip. I really like the wolfpline project 810 mascot and would keep it on. It looks as if the center strip by the windshield was broken off recently. Odd changes are so rare I think they are terrific.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 21:39 #46522 by uconn_1965
Both those Cord emblems are correct , but the Cords that I’ve seen that had the emblem on the top of the hood also had a chrome strip down the middle of the top of the hood , and a second shorter chrome strip on the center of the cowl between the cowl vents that lined up with the one on top of the hood.

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 21:26 #46521 by balinwire
My hood.
Attachments:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 06:03 #46518 by Terry Cockerell
John the picture I attached in the previous reply was probably from the time of Dallas Winslow.
So it the attached page in this reply. Note the demister fan has a basic case where as in the Cord Factory Accessories the demister fan is described as being "handsomely streamlined trimmed in chrome and can be finished to harmonise with car colour schemes."

I feel the hood ornament on Russ's Cord has been made up by a subsequent owner.

T cockerell

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 03:13 #46517 by john mccall
Second look in the accessories bulletin has the order number for the description i gave as being N29227, which is the order number for the front mounted hood ornament. No pictures are shown in the accessories bulletin.

My copy of the bulletins is missing #s 1,2, 8, 19 and 21 for the time period of the 810's. It is possible that it could be described in one of those bulletins.

I checked at the museum last Sept. and they also didn't have copies of those bulletins or at least couldn't couldn't locate them. If anyone has copies of those numbers I would like to get them.

Is your project an 810 or 812?

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 02:32 #46516 by Terry Cockerell
John the Cord accessory badge has wings and is quite different from the pictures Russ supplied with his enquirey.

T cockerell

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
05 Dec 2022 01:58 #46515 by john mccall
In the Cord Accessories Bulletin for 810 and 812 Cords, #8 lists a Crest Hood Ornament. It is described as being made of brass and heavily chromed with a Crest or Medallion of multiple colors .It listed at $3.50 with dealer cost of $2.45.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2022 17:49 #46509 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Hood Ornament/Bullnose
I looked in the authourized accessary book for this and it did not show up. I believe someone made this but it appears to have been a huge undertaking.

Gary Parsons

• wolfpline
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2022 17:22 #46508 by wolfpline
Hood Ornament/Bullnose was created by wolfpline
Can anyone tell me anything about this ornament/bullnose.  It is on the hood from my 810 project.

Thanks
Russ
Attachments: