Skip to main content

headlight Lens

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2022 21:27 #46342 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic headlight Lens
The Riteway 3387 and 3900 were original to the Cord. You can get other non original lenses to fit for example riteway 107 or riteway 3644.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, ShanghaiJack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2022 20:45 #46341 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic headlight Lens
The attached page comes from Dan Post's book on Cords. It lists most of th e Cords sold in the US state by state. How on earth could service stations and spare parts shops be expected to carry replacement parts unless they were common with other makes?

T cockerell

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2022 19:31 #46336 by uconn_1965
Not to hi jack this thread but if you are looking for a gas tank, over the years I’ve bought 4 or 5 new Cord tanks from Darrel Gilmore of Gilmore Metal works. They were priced fairly and made exactly like the original. He was located for the longest time in Ca.and then might have moved to Montana or Utah. The last time I spoke with Darrel he had bought a old chalet in France and was in the process of restoring it. Gilmore metal works was located at 16 Virginia Ave. In Chalfant Valley Ca. An old phone number I had for him was 760-873-4972. Hope that helps……

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2022 18:21 - 03 Nov 2022 18:25 #46335 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic headlight Lens
Cord 810-12 lenses are right and left and they have to be shallow in the dome contour for the lids to close. I have a sealed beamed conversion that may be very old but works well. It uses VW 6volt bulbs. I was on a mission to restore the 1937 lights to factory specifications. I got very close but was missing one chrome lens retainer, I have all the other clips and springs, and reflectors with the parking lamp holes and bulbs. I have some old stock lenses, maybe Chrysler, very close, that are the correct diameter and I am thinking they are Chrysler. I gave up on this project twenty-five years ago in trying to go back to stock as I can't find the small trim stainless glass lens retaining ring that holds the bulb, I have one left side. I could dig all the parts I have out and send a picture of what I have, and what I am missing, there is just so much to do so it gets pushed back in my do-ist. I would like a stock connector to the bulb harness. I need a new fuel tank badly so that project gets priority.
Back in the 1930s, it must have been a nightmare to keep working headlights when they were all different. not every service station would have a correct replacement lens and I cannot ever remember seeing any on the shelves in the fifties or sixties. After WWII the government mandated sealed beams for safety The Cord would have been one of the last cars with reflectors. I would bet many cars were scrapped because of non-working headlights and little things like burned points and holes in the inner tubes. I was going to add a relay to the headlight to help keep the headlight switch from arcing. I have the correct foglamps but may use a Trippe set like in the picture to cast an emergency beam in case the headlamp brows quit opening.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Nov 2022 18:25 by balinwire.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2022 17:10 #46334 by uconn_1965
The only correct lenses are for 1936 Cords, riteway 3387 and for 1937 Cord. Riteway 3387 or 3900.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, ShanghaiJack

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2022 16:23 #46333 by 1748 S
headlight Lens was created by 1748 S
The 810 812 had two different lens types. The 3900 and the I think 3644. Am sure about the 3900 number. Can anyone tell me when the number and type changes were made? I have a chance to purchase the 3644 lens but not sure if they will be correct for my 37 Beverly.
Thanks

Gary Parsons