Counterboring of top of block

• KEN.ROBERTS
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
25 Jul 2022 08:39 #45739 by KEN.ROBERTS
Replied by KEN.ROBERTS on topic Counterboring of top of block
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with all the comments in relation to removing any lip before removing pistons, however, the wording in the 1937 Service Letter 25 implies the 10 thou counterbore is applied after a rebore activity. Even so, the consensus appears to be that this is not the accepted practice and that there are no known problems experienced from not having the counterbore. I will be happy with the standard 30 thou oversize rebore in my engine - thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
25 Jul 2022 00:56 #45736 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Counterboring of top of block
On a re-ring job , the need to remove the ridge is to prevent
the new top rings from hitting the ridge with the resulting damage.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Jul 2022 00:03 #45735 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Counterboring of top of block
I noticed your located in Kingwood NSW Austrailia. Terry Cockerell is located in Cooranbong NSW Australia. He is finishing up his Cord restoration. Sadly he used the EGGE machine shop pistons and they were not correct. The piston pins were 40 thousands too high up in the pistons so much that they contacted the heads. It took months of shipping back n forth plus all the fitting before he got a piston that was close. EGGE machine shop is in a new location and about 4 miles from my home. Hope Terry can help you out.

Gary Parsons

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2022 20:32 #45734 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Counterboring of top of block
I have never heard of overboring the top of the cylinder. I think Pat is right and that referes to ridge reaming to remove old pistons. Don't go overboard in reaming the ridge and remove more than is need to remove the old pistons!
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2022 19:04 #45733 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Counterboring of top of block
A standard practice for many older cars required a ridge reamer applied to the top of the cylinder to remove any lip. Then the pistons could be pushed out the top and not damage rings.

Pat Leahy

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2022 18:58 #45731 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Counterboring of top of block
I have never heard of this idea. But am following this so I learn if its correct. I personally don't think its the way to do an over bore but???

Gary Parsons

• KEN.ROBERTS
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2022 08:57 #45729 by KEN.ROBERTS
Counterboring of top of block was created by KEN.ROBERTS
Cord Service letter No 25 states that when "reboring for installation of over-size pistons, it would be necessary for your shop to counterbore the top of the cylinder block about .010 larger than the cylinder bore."

I have only just located this information after my block has been rebored 30 thou over-size. Even so, the instruction doesn't describe how far the 10 thou counterbore should extend into the block. I presume that it should not be any further than the top of the bore on the outside edge of the block to ensure there is no chance of catching to the top ring. Does anyone have any further insight into this factory 'requirement' and whether it has been found to be of value?