New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

How to change the cross shift diaghram?

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
20 May 2021 07:42 #43219 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic How to change the cross shift diaghram?
Jim, I have not tried this on my car but seeing the slotted connection at the side of the diaphragm, can the aluminum housing and leather diaphragm be lifted up out of the car without taking the cross shaft housing off the gearbox?????

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
More
22 May 2021 03:14 #43230 by Terry Cockerell
As a follow up on the last posting I had to remove the cross shift cylinder and diaphragm to fit the speedo drive. The slotted connection adjacent to the leather diaphragm allows the unit to be removed without taking the cross shaft housing off the gearbox.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• alsancle
  • alsancle's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
27 May 2021 00:43 #43264 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic How to change the cross shift diaghram?

Terry Cockerell wrote: As a follow up on the last posting I had to remove the cross shift cylinder and diaphragm to fit the speedo drive. The slotted connection adjacent to the leather diaphragm allows the unit to be removed without taking the cross shaft housing off the gearbox.

Terry, could you explain how you did this? It feels like I'm a 1/4 of inch too tight when I pull the diaphram to the left, even with the shaft as far to the right as it will go - looking from the front.

• Terry Cockerell
More
27 May 2021 02:48 - 27 May 2021 08:27 #43265 by Terry Cockerell
Keep the aluminum housing close to the leather diaphragm. Just separate the leather from the cast iron cross shaft housing and try pulling it upwards. The slotted joint should separate. The slot may have been relocated check the drawing I posted earlier on page 1 of this topic.
If this does not work do as Jim suggested take the whole cross shaft assembly off the gearbox.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 May 2021 08:27 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding sketch
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

• alsancle
  • alsancle's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
09 Jul 2021 22:19 #43474 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic How to change the cross shift diaghram?
As much as I tried I could not get the housing and diaphragm to slide off so I ended up removing the entire cross shift assembly. I have a new bushing for that anyways so it would have had to come off to replace that.

Once on the bench, it was still tough for me to slide the diaphragm off. I've given the assembly to a shop to do the replacement. It took me so long because I needed to get a 12 point 1/2 inch socket with extra thin walls to get at the #4 bolt. I didn't want to turn down one of my good Snap On sockets.

I took pictures of the different bolts sizes. There seems to be 3 different lengths. Numbered clockwise starting in the upper left corner looking at the front of the transmission.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds