Skip to main content

Lookheed brake question.

• ACORDIAN
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2021 17:37 #42907 by ACORDIAN
Replied by ACORDIAN on topic Lookheed brake question.
I bought the couplete brake set up from the guys at Broken Arrow ,"Doug".
last week. It's no longer available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Apr 2021 19:54 #42903 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Lookheed brake question.
I recall George Arakelian had a rebuilt set of front Bendix brakes complete from shoes to backing plates. The bid went to $1200.00 but reserve not met. I think Doug at Auburn Cord Parts factory had a listing for both front and back Bendix complete brake setup too.

Gary Parsons

More
14 Apr 2021 19:21 #42902 by [email protected]
Yes the brakes weren't great but I wasn't sure what to expect. Now I have switched them round and changed the cylinder rubbers the pedal is right up there and they do work about as good as you can hope. So I can tick it off the list as a job done !

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Apr 2021 15:18 - 14 Apr 2021 15:52 #42900 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Lookheed brake question.
the Lockheed brakes are ok for the time but many new things were being developed, better generators, hydraulic brakes etc. The 812 Bendix brakes actually floated, pressing the smaller front leading pad with matching force. With power brakes this is better. All this was very new back then but as with sealed beam headlights they took over on new production. You did not mention if they were not stopping as well as you would like, compared to a modern power brace setup very noticeable going down steep hills, the Lockeed brakes are fine but trailing pad may wear faster than the other, just enjoy being different on the lube rack.
click, Brake shoes - which direction ?
Last edit: 14 Apr 2021 15:52 by balinwire.

More
10 Apr 2021 19:15 #42881 by [email protected]
Going to say , looks like '41 Ford cylinders are the same ? Loads on E-Bay to choose from if that's the case. They are handed ,my fronts are not, but my rears are, which is probably wrong.

More
10 Apr 2021 19:14 #42880 by [email protected]
After my shakedown drive last week thought I should be a responsible citizen and check over my brakes and everything. It escaped my attention before but I think the front shoes and cylinders are the wrong way round. The rears have the longer shoe at the front and the cylinders are handed so must be correct. I can swap the whole back plate over so no big deal. Just want to check with the experts. Also the cylinders are weeping on the front, where can I get rubbers pronto ? Want to get back on the road ! Thanks guys.
Attachments: