• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Dec 2020 22:08 #41676 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Almost Finished GCO
Thanks Terry. My plan was to Cad plate the pieces you mentioned but... I purchased new parts. I was VERY LUCKY to buy three huge parts kits from ebay some time back. I studied the pictures of what was included and checked my Autolite generator parts breakdown diagrams. The part numbers matched so I bought the three kits over a 2 month time line as they came up for sale. I have invested plenty of time and research to do something better than original just for my own restoration reasons. I have been very lucky to see show winning Duesenbergs during restoration and felt if its supposed to be this nice... Why can't I do the same.
Doing Cad plating at home is possible and I have studied this in detail. I may try it later on. But for now nearly everything in my generators is new, replaced or rebuilt. These are VERY expensive generators and when I sell I want to be sure nobody is disappointed with my quality work.

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Dec 2020 21:44 #41675 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Almost Finished GCO
First class job Gary. Did you CAD plate the threaded items yourself?
It all looks as good as new. If the rest of the car is done to the same degree you will have a show stopper in Auburn one day.
Keep up the good work.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2020 22:21 #41665 by 1748 S
As I continue my GCO restoration I'm finding the second generator will be the better of the two I nearly have complete. So it will be sold when its done. Here are some pictures of everything I can possibly show how I go about this restoration.

Gary Parsons

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2020 00:26 #41617 by 1748 S
Thanks for the complament. Heres the repaired coils lead that was word down to only 2 strands of copper wire in the 16 gauge wire. I purchased some bulk cloth covered wire last week from Rhode Island Wire. It came today so I made up this piece. Crimped a new flag lug and soldered it in place. Am happy with this fix.

Gary Parsons
Attachments:

More
23 Nov 2020 20:43 #41547 by pac32
Replied by pac32 on topic Almost Finished GCO
Wow that looks great

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Nov 2020 00:24 #41522 by 1748 S
Almost Finished GCO was created by 1748 S
As I continue to clean up and restore my Autolite GCO4804-A generator I feel I have to stop somewhere. So far I have spun the body in my lathe to clean up the normally ruff barrel. Then painted is gloss black. The id tag was cleaned and repainted twice. I learned NOT to use clear on the tag.... Then the field coils looked like they needed re wrapping so I did that. Note to self.... This is MUCH more difficult than it looks coming off. The cotton wrap coil will NOT fit thru the opening.... Now comes my question of finish and the red tag. I don't recall seeing any generators done to the attention to detail as I have done. I have seen several show cars and never have I seen the red tag I installed on mine. But I did find a piece of a red tag against the body under the insulators and washers on this terminal. So this is the main reason I put one on my generator. When I'm lucky enough to offer one of these for sale I will be putting this tag on. The new owner can remove it if so needed. Any constructive criticism is welcomed. My feeling can't be hurt.
Thanks

Gary Parsons
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards