Skip to main content

812 Supercharger Tips

• Frenchsic
  • Visitor
01 Dec 2020 04:15 #41635 by Frenchsic
Replied by Frenchsic on topic 812 Supercharger Tips
Can anyone tell me where I can find a cross-section diagram or exploded parts diagram detailing the supercharger on an 812? I recently acquired one, maybe sitting 20+ yrs, isn't stuck, but tried prelubing the oil system via the outside gauge connection, and only thing I could get thru the system was pure WD40, which never showed pressure on an aftermkt gauge, but ended up in the pan. I want to understand the design of the SC if possible before attempting to start the engine and lube its bearings if possible.
Ken Nelson - Citroens, Panhards, other oddballs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Nov 2020 09:51 #41504 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic 812 Supercharger Tips
6,000 miles in around 55 years. If it was restored to original specs it should last forever provided the oil was changed regularly. My understanding is that the tolerances are pretty tight on superchargers otherwise they don't generate enough boost. Dirty oil will cause wear. I heard a story about one that exploded in Melbourne , back in the 1960s. The root cause was probably lack of lubrication due to a blockage.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2020 18:36 #41502 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic 812 Supercharger Tips
I might add that a correctly rebuilt S/C Cord blowers are relatively quiet. If you hear the “singing” sound of most blowers, it’s an indication that they are worn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, alsancle

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2020 18:19 #41501 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 812 Supercharger Tips
At one time a member named Charles Segenak was reproducing these and I recall he told me they sold for $2500.00 a set. He also made show non functioning original bumper jacks strictly for show as they did not work. But NOBODY would actually use a bumper jack on any CORD because they damage the body and the bumpers. This is the reason most owners would discard them for sizzer jacks.

Gary Parsons

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2020 18:18 #41500 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic 812 Supercharger Tips
Biggest failure is lack of oil to blower, also bearing in drive pot

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2020 18:09 #41498 by alsancle
812 Supercharger Tips was created by alsancle
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSo I learned in another thread that 1/2 the blown cars floating around are missing their internals. Our car has all its internals and has made the trip from Boston to Auburn twice as well as at least one caravan. It is up to about 6k miles since restoration in the mid 1960s.

In the interest of staying ahead of things and being a glutton for punishment, should I have one of these on the shelf?

Is anyone familiar with who is making or made these and how well they work?

Also, what else wears out on specifically on a supercharger if you are actually trying to drive the car?
Attachments: