Skip to main content

Cord values

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2020 17:49 #41722 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Cord values
Merry Christmas everybody. If you buy a collector car buy one you like not for a profit as world situations can turn markets upside down, in the 40's ACD cars were scrap metal. In a world that is rapidly changing, driving styles and with a possible dead end to gasoline engines. A Cord 810 will stand out in any show field and get more attention and interest than any other marque no matter the cost. Viewers will always think they are much more valuable than the market bears. Young people have no interest in changing there oil rather than learning the inside's of an 80 year old sled. . with the history of the vehicles and the drama of the manufacture and the fact the few survived it is amazing. This story is similar to the Tucker and now they are art objects exhumed from dirty barns. Look at the stares in the ACD museum. These vehicles are far to rare to be brushed away and someday....I may not live to see it but one day in the future these will be of story book tales of which value can be calculated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2020 16:15 #41721 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Cord values
If someone is looking to buy a Cord to make money on - probably not a really great idea. Sure they are out there, but most of the time the person restoring is the one in the hole and a restored car cannot often be re-restored without being in the hole as well. And the cars have their challenges and there are a lot of really pretty ones that have the dependability of "zippo" - the other Marx Brother. And the open cars will do better than the close, the "true" supercharged cars will do better than non-supercharged, the never abused cars will do better than the welded together ones, the ones people dump a fortune in more so than the amateur, and ....

JMM

• Frenchsic
  • Visitor
06 Dec 2020 03:59 #41706 by Frenchsic
Replied by Frenchsic on topic Cord values
Same advice applies totally for anyone thinking of buying a Citroen DS of any year - unless you're a damn good plumber, stay away! But if you're a reasonable plumber, they're simple. Just get used to pressures over 1500 psi. To avoid the plumbing, buy a 2CV - then if you can handle a lawn tractor, you're good to go -
Ken

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
21 Aug 2020 19:53 #40778 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Cord values
I tell people if you want a old car and can't work on it yourself find someone who has the skill and interest in repairing it, and is younger than you, before you buy. If you can't find such a person don't buy.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle, johnmereness

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
18 Aug 2020 21:10 #40761 by johnmereness
By the way, there will always be a market for Cords (they have fabulous looks and engineering) - but the value of all the cars that do not have extensive professional restorations done to exacting standards is largely dependent on several key people in the ACD club who continually help people, write technical articles, and ....

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
18 Aug 2020 18:10 #40760 by johnmereness
Recent advise to a NOVICE:

Dad asks 3 questions when someone asks about Cords:

1. Are you an Engineer ? If answer is no then we go to question # 2.
2. Are you handy ? If the answer is no then we go to question # 3.
3. Do you have a lot of disposable income ? If the answer is no then his reply is below.
Reply: "Then you should not get a Cord as it will never be the car you want it to be or expect it to be for you."

Basically, there are a few things Pre-WWII that are not for the novice (they can try one, but they have to be willing to invest the time and the money, plus they probably will not master it if they are anti-social (aka there is a lot of good advice out there, but you have to be able to talk to people and a really tough long uphill road of wheel reinvention ahead when they cannot): Things known for very expensive engineering issues or just were very expensive when new, Rolls Royce's/Bentley's (plus about all other large horsepower European Pre-WWII things), 1929-1931 Cadillac's, and any Cord.

Sidenote: Now, the flip side of the coin is that the stuff I just mentioned is incredibly "cool", so worthwhile to apply yourself toward it - just do not walk in blindly.

Add'l Sidenote: I know a lot of "planners" who tend to never end up with the cool stuff as they talk themselves out of it - there is a place in the World for impulse buys (aka if you see something you may like then just reach out for it).

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
18 Aug 2020 18:01 #40759 by johnmereness
I believe you reference the exact problem as to values - the cars are incredibly neat in both styling and mechanical engineering, but they have a limited audience as to ownership as they still demand a decent value anyway about it, restorations costs are incredibly expensive, and the car is above most people's engineering skills, willingness, and/or wallet to figure out what makes then tick and keep them ticking (ie great for the marque that everyone loves them, but the flip side of the coin is that few can actually handle dealing with one).

JMM

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Aug 2020 13:59 #40757 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord values
Short answer is yes. The 810 812 is the least expensive way to get into the ACD cars. My observation is the L29 is the most costly of the "Cord" named cars. A well finished supercharged Cabriolet car cost more than $300,000.00. But.... Try to purchase a bumper jack or a dash instrument light switch or a Autolite GCO4804A generator. An original generator cost in 37 was about $18.50. Today they are as much as $3000.00. One sold a few weeks ago for $2800.00. I needed the instrument switch. Doug Pray explained "IF" he could find a good used one it will be $500.00.My guess in 37 these were probably $3.00. Parts are expensive for any 810 812 Cord..... But something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it....

Gary Parsons

• Blackiron
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Aug 2020 09:15 #40756 by Blackiron
Cord values was created by Blackiron
Are 810/812 Cords undervalued in relation to their rarity, appearance, and road manners ?
It seems my 810 Westchester has barely risen in value in the thirty four years I’ve owned it. I realise they are not without their problems, but once sorted they are hard to beat for power, comfort, and handling, yet seem to languish near the bottom of ACD desirability and value. As an engineer I appreciate the radical body design, the innovative V8 FWD and the complex but ingenious gear change. Possibly their early reliability problems have lingered to this day, I don’t know.
Maybe we need an E L Cord movie !