No Oil Filter on 1929 Auburn 680

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2019 19:41 #37764 by IndycarBruce
Replied by IndycarBruce on topic No Oil Filter on 1929 Auburn 680
Thank you everyone for your comments. I believe I will try to follow Mike's example on oil changes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2019 16:52 #37758 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic No Oil Filter on 1929 Auburn 680
1941 Cadillac's Flathead V-8's (which are the first or second most popular tour car in CCCA) do not have oil filters - not 1937-1948 for that matter.

JMM
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Jul 2019 04:07 #37724 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic No Oil Filter on 1929 Auburn 680
With no oil filter change oil every 1000 to 1200 miles. That's what I do. Yes, I use a lot of oil.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Jul 2019 00:10 #37721 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic No Oil Filter on 1929 Auburn 680
All 1936 & 1937 Cord 810 or 812 engines never had oil filters either. What they had was a flooded floating oil pickup.The moveable joint was always flooded by the correct oil level so it was not going to suck any air. The floating pickup has a screen in it kind of like what Volkwagon had. The advertizement stated you were always using the clean oil off the top of the oil pan level!!! Kind of shocking for today where we now know oil dropping back into the pan has all the bits and pieces plus the byproducts of combustion in this top clean oil. My enhine has 2 thousands taper on the cylinder walls so it really was a new block. I have no idea what oil my father and his business partner used way back in 1961 when they made one engine from two that came with the car. When I got the car in 1974 I ran the engine for maybe 3 hours over the next 25 years. Upon opening the engine the sludge found in the bottom of the oil pan was horrible for the amount of run time. The car actually drove under its own power in 1977 for bout 7 minutes.Just wanted to feel the ride. Oil filters.. We don't need no stinking oil filters:evil:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2019 22:16 #37719 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic No Oil Filter on 1929 Auburn 680
You really do not need an oil filter if the car never had one from new (which it may or may not have had - I do not know) - most earlier cars do not have oil filters and you are in nowhere the driving conditions the cars saw when new.

JMM

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2019 14:16 - 09 Jul 2019 14:17 #37717 by IndycarBruce
No Oil Filter on 1929 Auburn 680 was created by IndycarBruce
I pulled my engine last week and took it to a machine shop. A few notes: To my knowledge, this engine hasn't been started since the 1950's according to a previous owner. The water hoses, which were rotted, were packed full of rust flakes. The crank and pistons moved freely and from just my visual examination, I didn't see any cracks in the cylinders. But the machinist will give it a thorough exam. I couldn't loosen the screws on the water jacket cover, so I have no idea how it is inside there. I'll let him do that. A couple of valves are stuck open. I tried spraying penetrating oil on the valve springs, but the old oil is more like tar now. A family of chipmunks or mice had made a home in the exhaust manifold some years ago. I found a little fur and a whole lot of seed hulls.. The little critters climbed through the exhaust pipe and muffler to get there.

There is no oil filter on this engine. Have any of you added an external filter?

It's a big engine for only 185 cubic inches. I hope there aren't any major issues in getting it rebuilt. Can't wait to fire it up the first time.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2019 14:17 by IndycarBruce.