Skip to main content

Possibly Looking to purchase my first Auburn any advice?

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2014 14:01 #28226 by Mike Dube

auburnseeker wrote: Thanks for the information on your Auburn's Capabilities. I was hoping that would be their comfortable cruising ranges. I'm not planning on much Highway travel but the side roads around here require a car capable of a comfortable 60 to not hold up traffic. My flat 6 Mopars are just not geared or powerful enough to hold those speeds for long periods of time.

Randy,

I also cruise my 8-100A in the 55-60 mph range, my GPS use the past few years confirms that she really is comfortable at an honest 60. The limiting factor in a Dual-Ratio equipped Auburn 8-98, 8-100 or 8-101 is not the engine-chassis, it's the brakes. That 8-105 salon cabriolet mentioned in a previous post would have juice brakes & 16" wheels. The difference these two factors, along with a downdraft intake, make would not be believed until sampled.

Mike
8-100A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• auburnseeker
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2014 23:44 #28223 by auburnseeker
Thanks for the information on your Auburn's Capabilities. I was hoping that would be their comfortable cruising ranges. I'm not planning on much Highway travel but the side roads around here require a car capable of a comfortable 60 to not hold up traffic. My flat 6 Mopars are just not geared or powerful enough to hold those speeds for long periods of time.

More
21 Sep 2014 19:26 #28220 by 61xlch

auburnseeker wrote: Thanks for the information. What kind of Comfortable cruising speeds is your Auburn capable of? Does it have the 2 speed rear? Thanks again, Randy

Yes, 2-speed rearend. I prefer driving at smaller country roads around 50-60 mph, highway speed around 65 is still comfortable. In Germany highway cruising with an old car is no fun at all, because most other cars are driving much faster (80 - 120 mph).
Regards
Andy

• auburnseeker
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2014 13:22 #28219 by auburnseeker
I had seen that Car. Looks like it has good potential. I was looking to see if there were any others for Sale at the moment as well. I just want to be sure I explore all my options before proceeding.
I'll be heading to Hershey so I may wait until after then to make any decisions.
Thanks for the leads and advice so far.

• auburnandyscar
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2014 14:36 #28212 by auburnandyscar
[url:3djmnzm5]http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/auburn/8_105/1646851.html[/url:3djmnzm5]
I have seen this car for sale for a while. I know [i:3djmnzm5][u:3djmnzm5]NOTHING[/u:3djmnzm5][/i:3djmnzm5] about it other than seeing the ad. seems like a decent car for the money, but is not in my price range at the moment. might be something like you are looking for.

Check out my build at:
www.1932auburnsedan.com

• auburnseeker
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2014 13:48 #28210 by auburnseeker
Thanks for the information. What kind of Comfortable cruising speeds is your Auburn capable of? Does it have the 2 speed rear? Thanks again, Randy

More
20 Sep 2014 09:26 #28209 by 61xlch
Hello Randy

I own a 31 Phaeton Sedan since couple of years, which I drove some years in unrestored condition, finally I completed a complete restoration. These cars are overall very solid and reliable. I didnt figure out any remarkable weak point. It made some long distance rides without any problems.
You still have to watch out for all details as at any other car of that era.

Go ahead,
Andy

• auburnseeker
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2014 04:02 #28204 by auburnseeker
I've been surfing around The ACD forums for a couple of years and actually joined the club last year after purchasing a 36 Cord 810 Phaeton project. I still have that and it's happily waiting in the corner for me to get to some day. It has a very old Flathead Caddy conversion so it really needs a good donor sedan to finish it properly.
In the meantime I have always wanted an open Auburn. I of course like many, love the looks of the speedsters but realize that they are out of my reach at this time. I really like the 1931-1933 Styling best.
I'm currently looking at a 33 8 105 cabriolet that seems to be in good shape , running and driving with a very good body. It appears to be very complete.
Are there any things I should specifically look for or steer away from if I get real serious about acquiring it?
Does anyone have any other open 1931-1933 Auburns (2 or 4 door) for sale in similar shape or even better? Needing TLC and some work is fine but I'm not into a complete restoration as the Cord still needs that.
I want to see what's available before I make a move.
I've had several old cars from the 30's-50's Some rare and some not and have learned alot in general but I have no knowledge of the pros and cons of the 31-33 models.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, Randy