Skip to main content

Hat In The Ring Insignia On Diff Cover of My 8-120

• jwdp31357
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2014 16:29 #28176 by jwdp31357
Very interesting, thanks Randy. Something a little different for my Auburn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2014 15:07 #28175 by RandyEma
Most likely Richenbacker as Auburn used columbia axles and somebody interchanged the cover . R

• jwdp31357
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2014 12:39 #28174 by jwdp31357
Hi Matt - just found that site myself. I wonder if Auburn bought old Rickenbacker stock when they closed in 1927??

Thanks for the reply.

Jas

• landmark
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2014 12:21 #28173 by landmark

jwdp31357 wrote: Hi all. Removed the diff cover from my 29 8-120 and found an impressed Hat In The Ring insignia on the inside of the cover. Other then being the famous WW1 Squadron Insignia - did the manufacturer of the diffs have any relation to the squadron or Eddie Rickenbaker??

Can anyone advise the correct method of removing the king pins from the front axel??

And finally could anyone point me in the direction of a replacement steering arm (the curved one attached to the front axel). We found a large crack in mine.

Cheers

Jason

Hello Jason,

Eddie Rickenbacker owned the "Rickenbacker Car Company" 1922-!927 -> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickenbacker_%28car%29

I guess your car has a "Ring/Hat-Cover" of a Rickenbacker Car Rear End.

Take a look to first, second and fourth picture at the following link -> www.rickenbackermotors.com/rest/rearend.html

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

• jwdp31357
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2014 11:03 #28172 by jwdp31357
Hi all. Removed the diff cover from my 29 8-120 and found an impressed Hat In The Ring insignia on the inside of the cover. Other then being the famous WW1 Squadron Insignia - did the manufacturer of the diffs have any relation to the squadron or Eddie Rickenbaker??

Can anyone advise the correct method of removing the king pins from the front axel??

And finally could anyone point me in the direction of a replacement steering arm (the curved one attached to the front axel). We found a large crack in mine.

Cheers

Jason