Skip to main content

Tool to easily remove keyed rear drums and pinion flanges

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2014 16:35 #28165 by mikespeed35
I must caution that hydraulic press and pullers create massive pressure, use caution! They also break things you don't want broken.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auburn
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2014 05:04 #28155 by Auburn
Hi Guys - I found a great puller which allowed me to pop the rear drum of my 1932 Auburn in literally 10 seconds - without having to use a hammer or air compressor.

A bit of a background here, I did try various smaller pullers with my impact wrench with no results other than getting the puller bent.

I also tried the advice of driving on bumpy roads, in circles, braking hard in reverse etc.. with the nut loosely on - to no avail.

Eventually got tired of this and ordered the "Extreme Heavy Duty Hydraulic puller" off ebay..costs about $185.

The tool arrived yesterday and yes , this is the mother of all pullers in terms of extreme heavy-dutyiness ,weight..and design.
There are other hydraulic pullers out there but significantly more expensive.

Spent 10 minutes putting it together and found out that the arms are too long for the job, so I had to find a custom spacer - just a thick steel cylinder - to add length between the puller moveable tip and the hub .

The cone at the tip can be unscrewed so various type spacers may be used.

The tool has a large handle (not in the photo), so you give it a succession of rapid, large pumps and in 10 seconds the drum pops - Remember to leave the wheel nut loosely on at the end of the thread.

I found that a rapid increase of pressure works much better than a slow loading to pop the drums out.

The arms and the end hook part are quite large so it hooks on the inner surface part of the drum lip and won't bend the edge.

This would also be perfect to remove those tighly keyed Auburn rear axle pinion flange.
I did wrestle with mine earlier this year and had to resort to cutting it out and re-manufature a new one.

ebay search under:

EXTREME HEAVY DUTY 12 TON HYDRAULIC GEAR PULLER PORTABLE VERSATILE 9 3/4" SPREAD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.