Still fightin?with the Shebler TX carb

• 61xlch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 May 2014 14:42 #27561 by 61xlch
Replied by 61xlch on topic Still fightin?with the Shebler TX carb
Hurray - it idles! :D
Today I completed and installed another Shebler TX carb, and it works! I don?t know why, but it idles very smooth and is very good adjustable.

Tomorrow I will have the first test ride, checking accelaration and overall performance. I am pretty excited....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2014 21:12 #27556 by DavidK
Replied by DavidK on topic Carb
I'm no expert! The Schebler carburetor did come with a fuel screen just inside the !/2" plug on the bottom of the carburetor. It should be removed.
If it is lean, then maybe you could disconnect all vacuum lines and plug them to see if it helps. Sometimes the one to the dual ratio rearend can cause a lean condition. Don't rule out timing. If you have a copy of the 1931 - 1933 Auburn Service Manual, it may have some help.
Hope someone else has encountered this problem so you can get it fixed.
Thank you for sharing your pictures and build with us. I love following along.
Dave

• 61xlch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 May 2014 19:40 #27555 by 61xlch
Hello Auburn folks:

Now the car is nearly completed and ready to run. But I am still struggeling with the carb.

With complete pulled choke the car starts immediatly and runs with an increased idling speed. When I push the choke half way in (choke flap open, but enrichment needle still rised), the idling speed drops down and the car is still running quite well.

After the engine warms up, I push the choke further in, but then the engine runs unsteady and doesnt take any acceleration. Even if I screw in completely the idle mixture screw, its still too lean. If I turn the mixture screw out it becomes all the worse and finally the engine stalls.
When I lift the enrichment needle a bit, it becomes better, but still doesn?t like sudden opening of the the throttle valve.

Obviously the idle system and possibly the low speed system doesn?t work as it should. Meanwhile I have disassembled the carb three times and double checked everything - no idea.
All passages and jets are free, the float level is adjusted, everything seems to be ok.

Possibly there is not enough vacuum to pull the fuel up into the idle tube, may be because of a small air leak within the carb...?

Is there an Shebler carb expert out there?

Now I have restored the car to a very original level and I hate the idea to reinstall the Carter carb, which was installed before. Especially after I invested that much time and money in the carb.

:rolleyes:

Any lead is appreciated, thanks,
Andreas