Skip to main content

Auburn Supercharger running temp

• jamesbartlett
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2013 21:45 #25986 by jamesbartlett
Replied by jamesbartlett on topic Auburn Supercharger running temp
I'm not an expert, but several points come to mind.

1) Ensure that the noise is in the SC by disconnecting the drive shaft and starting the engine to see if the noise stops.
2) Ensure that the SC is getting oil.
3) Check out the gearbox bearings and gears. Bearings are available.
4) If all else fails, check the planetary set for pitting. The key question is who made the set, and did they do so in accordance with the rather elaborate blueprint specs on clearances and hardening? Before I obtained such a set, I had a local machinist make a new outer race. It pitted within a few months and the noise was quite pronounced. Later on I located a new set that had been made and heat treated to spec. I also got the blueprints, and then had a professional machine shop (owned by a friend) go over everything. There were a few non-critical tolerances that he brought back into spec, just to be sure. All the critical stuff was right on.
5) Check that the aluminum impeller and the flat top plate at the top of the beehive aren't rubbing. This tends to happen when the gearset gets worn.

Incidentally, there's a Youtube video of someone driving a supercharged Auburn, and the SC is definitely far too loud. Don't know who's car that was.

'35 Auburn S/C Convert. Sedan
'32 Duesenberg D/C Phaeton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2013 11:29 #25980 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Auburn Supercharger running temp
Thanks for the feedback. This unit has been completely rebuilt and is definitely noisy which is my dad's concern. I was surprised at the high temp of the bee hive as everything else was cooler.

• jamesbartlett
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2013 04:29 #25978 by jamesbartlett
Replied by jamesbartlett on topic Auburn Supercharger running temp
The running temperature of the beehive is determined by the engine oil temperature, plus some local friction. The aluminum housing at top is water temperature. If these units are right, they are essentially silent. They develop noise once the planetary gear starts to wear and develop pits. I rebuilt mine some years back and it's extremely quiet. Don't know who might have new planetary sets now.

'35 Auburn S/C Convert. Sedan
'32 Duesenberg D/C Phaeton

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2013 23:46 #25972 by alsancle
Auburn Supercharger running temp was created by alsancle
The beehive on my dad's 852 supercharger is showing 180 degrees after a 10 mile jaunt. This is with no hood side cover on the left side of the engine. The engine itself is at 160 degrees. Temps taken with a heat gun.

Does this seem right? He is convinced that there is something not quite right with the blower as it seems noisy to him.