Skip to main content

35' 653 Polarizing the regulator

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2013 00:46 #25954 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic polarizing
If you have a cutout that has two terminal lugs you may use the lug that says 'GEN' or 'STX'. You will not accomplish your mission if you touch the hot lead on the 'BAT' because the points should be open in the cutout and the current will not reach the generator. All that is needed is one quick touch a small spark a split second is all that is needed. If you have a cutout with a single lug, remove the cutout from the generator, tip it on it's side and touch the wire to the center nut where the gen wire is connected.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Boatail
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2013 20:41 #25953 by Boatail
Replied by Boatail on topic 35' 653 Polarizing the regulator
Thanks for the clarification Curt. I find the armature wire connected to the cutout, do I leave it connected for this procedure, and is this done while the car is running or not?
Thanks for the input.
Joe

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2013 21:45 #25944 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Regulator
1934-1936 Auburns both 6 & 8 came with a Auto-Lite cutout mounted on the generator. There is no voltage regulator.
You may want to polarize the generator. That is accomplished by connecting a jumper wire from the battery negative to the generator armature wire. It is the only wire exiting from the generator so it is easy to locate. The correct generator for all 34-36 Auburn is Auto-Lite GAR 4603

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Boatail
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2013 15:18 #25942 by Boatail
35' 653 Polarizing the regulator was created by Boatail
Hello, I'm looking for any information about how to correctly check the polarization of my regulator and how to re-polarize it if necessary.
Thanks!