Skip to main content

Orpin Switch

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
20 Jun 2013 00:34 #25461 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Starter
I had the same problem with a starter that had been previously worked-on. I decided to bring the starter to a local shop in Arlington Heights and they found a rusted internal ground. The repair made all the difference.

Another thing I did was to enlarge the battery box and buy a larger 6 volt battery to fit in. Probably wasn't necessary, but I feel like I have more starting capacity now.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2013 02:38 #25409 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Orpin Switch
I too use 6V and it works just fine. Both on my Auburn and L-29.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Greg Frownfelter
  • Registered
More
11 Jun 2013 19:39 #25392 by Greg Frownfelter
Replied by Greg Frownfelter on topic Orpin Switch
I have always used the heavy cables
double check for clean and tight connections
I like using the Optima brand battery 6 volt
lots of power and extra long shelf life, good
for storage periods
I agree 6 volt worked for years and should be fine
today. My experience with 8 volts has never been good,
the system isnt designed for it and bulbs dont like it
either
greg

More
11 Jun 2013 11:43 #25386 by C.R.D.
Replied by C.R.D. on topic Orpin Switch
Hi Curt,

No, I do not have the ohm values of a 6 volt or 12 volt brushes. I agree you should be able to check the resistance between the two. I was just relieved to get the starter working again and never pursued the matter after that.
Carl

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
11 Jun 2013 11:23 #25385 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic brushes

C.R.D. wrote: Curt if it was only so simple. The 12 volt brushes were identical to the 6 volt, just not as conductive. The first rebuilder must have been unfamiliar with 6 volt, the second who was in his upper 70's and has done rebuilding for about 40 years just assumed they were correct as they were new. From now on my starters and generators go to the third one.
Carl

Possibly one could check the resistance with a olhm-meter. Do you have the value of a 12V?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

More
10 Jun 2013 12:59 #25370 by C.R.D.
Curt if it was only so simple. The 12 volt brushes were identical to the 6 volt, just not as conductive. The first rebuilder must have been unfamiliar with 6 volt, the second who was in his upper 70's and has done rebuilding for about 40 years just assumed they were correct as they were new. From now on my starters and generators go to the third one.
Carl

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
10 Jun 2013 11:48 #25368 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic starter
1934-36 Auburns utilize Auto-Lite starters which use the rivets on the end plate to ground the two grounding brushes. I have found that over the years corrosion has built up between the end plate and the rivets. Even though the meter tests it OK, there is sufficient resistance to reduce the power of the starter. The end result is it will turn over slowly. The easy fix for this is to install a grounding stud on either side of the starter under the commutator band so they will not be seen.

The 12V brushes is a new one on me, that is good info. I suspect they are smaller that 6V brushes.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

More
09 Jun 2013 15:19 #25365 by C.R.D.
I agree a 6 volt battery should do the job if everything else is alright. Heavy cables and good connections are essential.
On one of my other cars I had my starter rebuilt and it would barely turn the engine over. I installed an old starter and the car cranked over fine. The original rebuilder insisted the starter was fine and suggested I go to an 8 volt battery. After going to three starter rebuilders and numerous attempts to correct the problem. Finally one starter repairman discovered the problem. The original rebuilder put 12 volt brushes in the starter. Once the proper brushes were installed the starter worked great. Might want to check with the person who rebuilt yours and make sure they used the correct brushes.
Carl

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
09 Jun 2013 05:54 #25363 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic 6 Volt battery
I too don't think that you need to do anything fancy like 12 volts I'm a 810 Cord owner who has eliminated trouble with my car by having my parts store make up new battery cable using 00 electric welding cable. I ran my ground (positive) from the battery to a bolt on the starter. I also had high torque field installed in my starter. I don't know if an Auburn starter is the same but it might be?

• silverghost
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jun 2013 02:38 #25362 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Orpin Switch
I would first check all your battey cable's condition , conections, cable sizes, and grounds etc first.
Use Large size battery cables ~~~Not small 12 volt modern cables.

Your old original 6 Volt starting system should work just fine if properly cleaned-up and maintained !

If 6 Volts worked when new~~~It should work fine now today.

There must be some voltage drop in your battery cable system ,between the battery and starter, that is causing your starting system issue.

Using a 12 Volt battery today is just an un-necessary Band-Aid repair for a poorly maintained original 6 Volt starting system !

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
08 Jun 2013 23:44 #25360 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Orpin Switch
Hi,

I had one on a POC '52 Willys Jeep driveway plower-outer, and it was the difference between having an operable Jeep and a flower planter.

I ran this two-battery arrangement and switch for several years with no problems.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• michael arata
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Jun 2013 22:04 #25359 by michael arata
Orpin Switch was created by michael arata
Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the Warm-Up this year because of starter problems with my 1931 898-A. Despite having the starter rebuilt, the 6 volt battery just doesn't have sufficient power to crank the starter with enough force. A trial using a 12 volt battery does the trick just fine. I would like to retain the original 6 volt system and was wondering if any club members had any experience with the Orpin switch that Josh Malks mentions in his book, How to Maintain and Enjoy Your Collector Car on pages 112-114. I checked EBay and noticed one is currently for sale. The Orpin switch allows 2 6 volt batteries to be connected in parallel allowing the starter to run on 12 volts but maintaining 6 volts for the electrical system as I understand it. Thanks for any advice. MA