Skip to main content

Engine Oil

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2013 04:10 #25324 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Engine Oil
I have never regretted pulling a pan. Just in process of finishing a 1925 Franklin and tomorrow nights project is a 1935 Packard Twelve - Both outstanding unrestored cars.

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• olvette64
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2013 02:09 #25323 by olvette64
Replied by olvette64 on topic Engine Oil
Thanks Ivor for the idea on using a slide hammer. Also, thanks everyone for their recommendations on oil. I believe I will pull the pan and see how it looks before I put it on the road. I don't think the engine was rebuilt because it was parked in the mid 70's and never started until now. I guess I should stay with the non detergent for now.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2013 15:24 #25316 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Engine Oil
Most of us in Ohio and Indiana are using oil designed by DA Lubricants in Indianapolis (a time proven race oil manufacturer) made for the Indianapolis Region CCCA (Classic Car Club of America).

And, to address Mike's comment - yes it has a suspension agent in it for the ZDDP (ie prevents separation).

sites.google.com/site/indianare ... -motor-oil

JMM

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2013 03:44 #25299 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Engine Oil
I must say I am not in favor of ZDDP additives. You are taking a known product and making it into a unknown one. There are several oils that have high ZDDP content as purchased. My not use one of those.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
31 May 2013 20:08 #25294 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Non detergent oil
10-4 on dropping the pan.

While not taking a side here, I run detergent in mine, there are two schools of thought on this. One is as Mike states, if the engine has been thoroughly cleaned and rebuilt, it's fine to use a modern oil. The other is that unless you have full flow oil filtration, those metal particles that modern oil holds in suspension continue to cross your bearing surfaces. Wee Robbie told a story about he & Doug Johnson having to pull the pan off a Cord engine that had been rebuilt recently. While it was off, they decided to pull a main & rod cap for a look see and were surprised by the amount of scoring they saw.

Whatever you decide, suggest you use use a zddp additive or an oil that already has it.

Mike
8-100A

More
30 May 2013 18:55 #25265 by 61xlch
Replied by 61xlch on topic Engine Oil
Troy,
I would also remove the pan.
Even if the engine has been rebuilt many years ago, there could be an inch sludge at the bottom again. Its always good to clean out the pan.

I used SAE 40 mono grade non detergent oil, after the rebuild I am considering a multigrade 20W60 detergent oil.

Good luck...
Andreas

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
29 May 2013 02:24 #25240 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Engine Oil
If you are new to the car I would drop the pan. It will tell you if the engine has been rebuilt and help in removing the dip stick. If the pan is reletivly clean, not full of sludge, it probably has been rebuilt and you can use detergent oil.
Most engines have been wrenched by this time.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

More
28 May 2013 22:15 #25237 by Ivor
Replied by Ivor on topic Re engine oil
Hello Troy,
I use Penrite products, they manufacture speciality lubricants for our older cars, so might be an option for you, on their website you can check their recommendations for most Auburn models. Their products are available in the USA.

The dip stick in my spare block was broken also, it was made of pot metal cast around the steel oil level measuring blade, it was easy to push out with the sump removed. If your later model is similar you may be able to drill and tap a thread in the pot metal and pull it out, you may need to improvise a slide hammer as the pot metal swells with time and locks in the guide tube.

• olvette64
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 May 2013 22:26 #25230 by olvette64
Engine Oil was created by olvette64
Hello,

I have a 1931 Auburn showing 64,000 miles which I believe is original. I have heard that you should only use non detergent oil in the older engines that have never been rebuilt. I was wondering what weight or type of oil that other club members run in their cars.

Also, I have a quick question. The dip stick on my engine is broken off. Before I attempt to remove it is it a standard stick that pulls straight out or does it have any threads that hold it in.