Skip to main content

Mouinting tires

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Jun 2013 13:50 #25404 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Liking the ride so far.
Have only been able to put a 100 miles or so on the tires, between dodging raindrops & other things. I must say she rides & handles noticeably better.

Mike
8-100A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 May 2013 17:02 #25211 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Mouinting tires
Tires done Saturday, I painted the weights to match the rims. On Sunday, I took the opportunity to do the spring maintenance while she was on the stands, mounted the wheels, then had time for a short spin before dusk. Seems a bit smoother, time will tell. The tech did number the mounted wheels 1-5 from best to worst as he said he would. Still need to get the toe in set.

Taking it to her first cruise nite of the season later today.

Mike
8-100A

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
11 May 2013 11:52 #25170 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic POR15

mikespeed35 wrote: Curt, I used Rust Metal Primer in the 60's, Way before Por-15. I can't speak for Por-15 as I have never used it.
CORDially Mike

For certain things POR 15 is a really great product. Applied to a casting; for example a front axel. After it is cured it can with stand a sharp blow with a hammer and not chip. The semi-gloss is great for under the car hard parts.
If you get it on your hands and it cures , you have to wait until it wares off.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
11 May 2013 02:17 #25169 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Mouinting tires
Curt, I used Rust Metal Primer in the 60's, Way before Por-15. I can't speak for Por-15 as I have never used it.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• auburn653
  • Registered
More
09 May 2013 17:55 #25161 by auburn653
Replied by auburn653 on topic Mouinting tires
I like Rustoleum so much that....well....works good as top coat too. :D

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 May 2013 16:03 #25159 by Mike Dube
Curt,

I haven't used POR yet, but no, its just paint.

www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=41

I actually have a old quart that I'll brush on. Four of my wheels are pretty good, one is a touch rusty, but nothing extreme.

Mike
8-100A

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
09 May 2013 11:11 #25155 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Primer

mikespeed35 wrote: I am a fan of that product. Have used rusty metal primer many times over the years. Can't remember a time it has let me down.
CORDially Mike

Is that similar to POR-15?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
09 May 2013 03:57 #25154 by mikespeed35
I am a fan of that product. Have used rusty metal primer many times over the years. Can't remember a time it has let me down.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 May 2013 17:02 #25153 by Mike Dube

mikespeed35 wrote: Did your tire tech. say anything about the beads inside the tubes to balance.
CORDially Mike

I didn't bring it up, since I had already decided to go more traditional. Seeing Joel's comment makes me think the shop probably knows about beads as they do a lot of truck tires.

Initially, I had planned to mount them myself & perhaps use the beads. Based on feedback here and figuring I'm no pro & would likely pinch at least one tube, the shop is going to get the job. Now waiting for the wet weather to leave so I can paint inside the rims. Was going to use a Rustoleum oil base "rusty metal" primer. Sound reasonable?

Mike
8-100A

More
07 May 2013 19:20 #25150 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Mouinting tires
On my semi tractor, I have had the balancing powder installed in the the steer tires for many years. With heavy trucks, it is common practice to put the stuff in the steer tires and leave the drive tires unbalanced.

The balancing powder will not harm the tube. If it did, there is no way they could use it on a commercial truck. When the tire is turning slow enuff for the powder to collect at the bottom, there is no need for balance. When the tire begins to speed up to the point that the imbalance could be felt, the powder is dispersed to the light side of the tire to balance it.

Ask any tire shop that handles heavy truck tires, they will have the scoop on it. :D

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
07 May 2013 19:11 #25149 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic TIRE SHAVER
I HAD THE TIRES ON OUR 36 CORD SHAVED A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO. IT HELPED BUT IT WASN'T TILL I GOT THE BRAKE DRUMS BALANCED THAT I GOT RID IF ALL THE SHAKE. YOU NEED TO RUN THE TIRES AT LEAST 1,000 MILES BEFORE YOU HAVE THEM SHAVED. THE SHOP THAT DID IT SAID THAT THE TIRES WEREN'T TOTALLY ROUND BUT WERE NOW.

• silverghost
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 May 2013 05:53 #25148 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Mouinting tires
The problem that I had heard with the beads arises when you slow down and stop your car~~~
All the beads then drop to the bottom of the tire, or tube.

Then finally when you start-up again the wheels & tires are greatly un-balanced and vibrate until you get up to a good speed again and the beads self re-distribute themselves again.

To me beads are more of an easy "Band-Aid" sort of tire & wheel balance product.

I say~~~Do the job the correct way with wheel weights and be done with it.

Tire Shaver balancer~~~~
Does anyone else here remember those old machines that actually shave off parts of the tire tread rubber in an effort to balance a tire ?

Does anyone use a tire-shave machine to balance old Antique & Classic car tires today ?

A hobby friend still has, and actually still uses his old tire shaver balancer from time to time !

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
07 May 2013 03:44 #25147 by mikespeed35
Did your tire tech. say anything about the beads inside the tubes to balance.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 May 2013 16:42 #25146 by Mike Dube

mikespeed35 wrote: You are lucky you don't have a L-29. The center hole is too big for most cones used on balancing machines. A truck balancing machine has a big enough cone but the shaft is too short too get a cone on both sides. Jan Appenzeller has a balancing machine with a L-29 hub mounted on it.
CORDially Mike

Well, the news is all good. The tire shop nearby was able to mount one of my rims on the Hunter 9600, the tech confirmed it is usually used for large trucks. His having to demount a tubed tire to rotate it on the rim for the quick match is not an issue. I have an extra new tube (always carry at least one) just in case. While none of my wheels are perfect, he said the one I bought (by luck) wasn't too bad. He will tell me which are the best (run-out, out of round), and is happy to set the toe in for me. I spent a good bit of time the last couple of days stripping all the tape & crud out of the inside on my rims, will paint them and hopefully get the deal done this week.

Thanks again for all the input.

Mike
8-100A

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
05 May 2013 15:17 #25140 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Mouinting tires
My front end shop had a machine you put under the wheel we balance that way on the early 30's cars.

I had bought a special cone for a friends machine to do the 851.

JMM

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
03 May 2013 15:59 #25133 by mikespeed35
You are lucky you don't have a L-29. The center hole is too big for most cones used on balancing machines. A truck balancing machine has a big enough cone but the shaft is too short too get a cone on both sides. Jan Appenzeller has a balancing machine with a L-29 hub mounted on it.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
03 May 2013 03:05 #25132 by johnmereness
Yes, rim bands are best for drop center wire wheels !

JMM

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 May 2013 13:33 #25128 by Mike Dube
I appreciate all your input.

This will be the 3rd set of tires on the car during my stewardship. I have used rim bands in the past, and in talking to Universal this time, they recommend rims bands over flaps for my drop center style rims. The bands cover the center section spoke nipples & the tire bead covers those in the outer edge.

I don't have any issues getting them mounted, just not happy with the balancing jobs done previously, especially the last one. This "quick matching" of the tire and rim that the Hunter 9600 spin balancer affords sounds like my best bet.

Mike
8-100A

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
02 May 2013 04:40 #25127 by johnmereness
Inspect for stickers - there cannot be any on tube or inside of tire casing. You need a flaps - and people who say use duct tape are risking their life (a car is not a bicycle) and why never permitted in racing. And use bady powder - talc on inside of casing, tube, and flap.

JMM

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 May 2013 02:35 #25123 by mikespeed35
I tour a lot and have never heard any one in the hospitality rooms talk about this type of balancing. They may use this balancing method but don't mention it.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• auburnandyscar
  • Registered
More
01 May 2013 01:09 #25122 by auburnandyscar
Replied by auburnandyscar on topic Mouinting tires
If you think that the ceramic balls may be too abrasive, you may want to consider the plastic balls used by the 'Air soft' crowd. I am not sure if/how well they will fit in your valve stems.
These worked well in our rock crawlers, but they were all tubeless applications.

Check out my build at:
www.1932auburnsedan.com

• silverghost
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
30 Apr 2013 22:37 #25120 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Mouinting tires
[quote="Mike Dube
"] There are testimonials on the Dynabeads site from Model A & T owners, and they use tubed tires. I have posted on a couple of other forums as well, we'll see what develops.

I will be talking to a local shop that has the Hunter 9600 later this week.[/quote]

You have to remember that Ford Model "T" &"A" autos do not travel at very high speeds at all as compared to your Auburn auto.
ALSO~
Most of the owners of these "T" & "A" cars do not drive them very far at all nor~~~ put many miles on them.
They also do not drive much, if at all, on super highways.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Apr 2013 13:26 #25119 by Mike Dube
A good point Mike, and that's why I'm asking. While Dynabeads have been around for a while and I have seen unsolicited testimonials on other forums praising them for motorcycles & RVs, those are usually tubeless tires. There are testimonials on the Dynabeads site from Model A & T owners, and they use tubed tires. I have posted on a couple of other forums as well, we'll see what develops.

I will be talking to a local shop that has the Hunter 9600 later this week.

Mike
8-100A

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Apr 2013 04:50 #25117 by mikespeed35
Since something as small as a sticker on the inside of a tire can put a hole in a tube I wonder about ceramic balls rolling around in a tube?
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Apr 2013 01:26 #25116 by Mike Dube
Mouinting tires was created by Mike Dube
Due to a bad balancing issue chewing up some of my Lesters prematurely I have stripped the Auburn's drop center wire wheels to get a good look at them before installing new tires. Frankly, while not perfect, they don't seem all that bad to me. I am using the Firestone 600/650x17s this time, they have a nicer look and seem to have deeper tread to begin with. I haven't decided yet whether or not to mount them myself, but in any event am considering using Dyna Beads this time. Anybody have any experience with them?

www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

As to spin balancing, if you drive your car, using the Hunter 9600 balancer makes sense. Whatever you think about Corky, you should find this this video on quick matching tires & wheels interesting:
In a check of shops in my area, it seems like it's mostly those that handle big trucks that have the 9600, which in itself tells us something.

Mike
8-100A