Skip to main content

Carburetor Question

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
12 Feb 2013 05:43 #24475 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Carburetor Question
Those were installed to keep those pesky flying insects from clogging up the innards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2013 21:56 #24474 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Carburetor Question
I would remove it for all the above reasons posted. Being a soft material I can't see it harming any internal parts but hanging open a valve may be an issue too or hanging open the throttle butterflys. Removing it will not harm anything that I can see.

• DavidK
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2013 00:05 #24469 by DavidK
Replied by DavidK on topic Screen
I've never seen anything like it either. It is located on the air cleaner side,(air inlet). I was planning to removing it. I don't think I trust it. I'm not really familar with these carburetors so I wanted to check before removing it. Guess it shows how big a concern gas mileage has always been.
Dave

• silverghost
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Feb 2013 23:53 #24468 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Very Strange Screen Indeed !
I have never seen such a brass screen on any carb I have ever worked on, or rebuilt . And there have been hundreds .

Just curious if this screen is on the underside of the throttle plate butterfly; or on the top air comming in side ?

For years there have been many aftermarket worthless snake-oil style products sold to improve fuel milage
ie. magnets clamped on the fuel line, ignition power boosters, screens under the carb, where it's mounted to the intake manifold. etc.

I would guess the idea was to increase turbulance & break up fuel mist droplets into a much smaller size.
The only thing these aftermaket products really did for anyone was to make money for those who sold them !

Perhapps this is one of those crazy ideas & virtually worthless aftermarket products ?

I suspect it does more harm~~~than good !

Many owners also liked to experiment on carbs & ignitions also.
Perhapps this is one such prior owner's nutty idea ?
Possibly some owner's idea of how to retain the throttle plate butterfly mounting screws ?

I would be afraid the sreen, or part of a wire from it, might be sucked into the intake manifold & engine with very bad damaging results.

Also the screen, or a wire from it, might keep the throttle plate from opening & closing properly and cause a run-away throttle & engine condition.

If it were me~~~i would remove it !

Let's see what others say about it.

Very strange screen indeed !

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
10 Feb 2013 22:16 #24467 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic screen
IMHO that is not factory.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• DavidK
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Feb 2013 20:12 #24466 by DavidK
Carburetor Question was created by DavidK
I'm rebuilding a Stromberg carburetor and found the throttle butterfly plate has a copper mesh soldered to it. Has anyone ever seen this before? I don't know if it was added as a way to improve atomization or if it even came that way. My parts drawing doesn't really show it. Has anyone ever come across this? I wonder if it works or does more harm. It's only on the one side.
Thanks
Dave