Skip to main content

Oil filler tube

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
22 Mar 2012 07:20 #22494 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Oil filler tube
The lacing is kind of like the hood lacing in that it seems brown and heavy woven, though it is very thin - perhaps 1/16 inch thick from what I saw.

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2012 20:19 #22490 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Oil filler tube
Also known as "anti-squeak"

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2012 19:20 #22489 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: lacing?

red.auburn851 wrote: What kind of lacing?

Marcus

1/16 x 3/4 similar to the glove box strap.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• red.auburn851
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2012 17:13 #22486 by red.auburn851
Replied by red.auburn851 on topic lacing?
What kind of lacing?

Marcus

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2012 09:01 #22485 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic pans
I have beena ble to get my hand up there and hold the bolt. when doing that project a helper is a good thing. You know there is lacing that sandwiches between those pans and the frame. Including the front air shield.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2012 04:34 #22484 by johnmereness
For Coil I used Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamel, Machinery Gray DA1612 (and it looks GREAT !).

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2012 04:23 #22483 by johnmereness
As to the engine pans - I am painting the set up right now. I did go with gloss so that they would wipe up easier (yes, I know they were probably chassic black just like the frame).

As to the triangular engine pan on the driver's side by the radiator filler (the 36 s/c Pheaton had both the triangular ones and I bought the other 3 from Curt) someone along the way did something rather unique - they cut the one a touch to clear the spring snubbers and then put the bolt in with put a jam nut on the underside - and then they bolted pans on. The thin jam nut gives the bolt some grip and if you put an "inside" star washer under jam nut you would get even more advantage and I doubt anyone would notice. And, yes I bought a whole set of "N" bolts for their installation - Curt reproduces now.

JMM

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2012 02:16 #22482 by ilikescars
I had to remove the small dust cover in order to access the radiator drain. Had to cut the bolt off, even though it wasn't rusted. I can see why these covers were left off by the owners in the past.

Mark

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2012 00:16 #22479 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Dust shields
Guys: Slightly off subject, but this has been bugging me...

When I installed the dust pans under my cabriolet, it was done after the engine was in place. I have a feeling that the factory put these in before the engine was dropped onto the frame. My observation: If you need to take the dust pans down for any reason, it's really difficult, because the bolts are installed threaded end down. The bolts spin when you try to remove the nuts, and it's near impossible to reach the bolt heads.

I'm thinking of tack-welding the bolts in place on a different car, just to eliminate that future problem.

Any ideas?

Mark

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2012 22:04 #22478 by johnmereness
I thought that was Mark - We just exchanged an e-mail off the forum a minute ago - As you know he was the one that got us going on the nuts and bolts all being exactly correct. I think we can get him onto the 100% band wagon of cars that set new standards for correctness. Equally, as you know my dad was the first person to cry that if I did it just like the factory it would be "not all that exciting" - he changed his mind when he saw the 36 Phaeton - pretty spectacular and actually a ton more interesting than people's mirror paint and polished stainless.

JMM

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2012 21:59 #22477 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Oil filler tube

ilikescars wrote: engine color on the ign. coil? Thought it was black.

I have a CE4001G coil that is battleship grey (not repainted, original)
There is an old pix of a speedster with a light colored coil. That being said, the coil on my cars are black. But if you see a grey one don't knock him.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2012 21:55 #22476 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Authenticity
John, I really appreciate the kind words. I do have to say that Mark is one of the most anal restorers that I know. and that is a COMPLEMENT to Mark. He might say 'yuk' now to the green oil filler cap, but check his car out when it is Auburn.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2012 21:36 #22474 by johnmereness
No, it is sort of a medium grey sandable primer color (not light grey and not approaching black). I would call it a medium grey with a hint of blue in it. I matched photos Curt sent me of an original and found a nice gloss spay color at the autoparts store. Shoot me an e-mail and I will get you a photo - will take some coming up: <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]
JMM

JMM

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2012 21:25 #22473 by ilikescars
engine color on the ign. coil? Thought it was black.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2012 19:14 #22472 by johnmereness
As you may or may not know a few of us are pushing a new standard for correct: That standard is called "really correct." I am just wrapping up a detailing on a 36 S/C Phaeton and it is a work of art. I did it 97.5 % by the book (and it would not have been possible without the help of Curt Schulze analyzing his parts with a magnifying glass and a quest to look at the handful of unrestored cars still out there). A few flaws include keeping the silver head bolts vs black Parkerizing, green vs black s/c - jury is still out there, leaving the battery grounded to the starter bolt, and a few other little this and that?s. And, that being said, when you have the blue/grey color coil, satin black on generator, starter, and oil filter, gloss black on generator regulator and fuse cover, all proper cadmium such as Startix, all proper Parkerizing on your W, 30, C, and N bolts, copper plated bolts on s/c pipes, all emblems and etc. it comes off looking like a billion bucks - and if you do it wrong you may like it but there are a few people killing themselves to do their car right and pushing that separation of the men from the boys in this area of authenticity and you do not want to be one of the ones left behind as too hard to fix later. The fellow who had the Boattail at Pebble Beach was overwhelmed with compliments and enthrallment this past year (he is on that 98 % cusp) and a few more are actively in the pipeline.

JMM

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2012 18:36 #22471 by ilikescars
Ugh. Too much green paint.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2012 14:49 #22469 by johnmereness
Should have clarified on the filler cap - Again, they must not have used a primer so the oil, temperature, and time caused the green engine paint to peel off the cad plated oil filler cap.

JMM

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2012 13:59 #22468 by ilikescars
That's a new one: The filler cap is not cad plated? It was painted engine color?

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2012 12:58 #22466 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Oil Filler Tube
I believe John is spot on. The tubes were purchased from an outside vendor which painted the tubes black. When the engines were painted coming down the line at the factory the oil filler pipe and cap were installed as well as other ansillarys on the engine.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2012 07:26 #22465 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Oil Filler
As to 851/852 cars - My opinion from the one original close up engine photo that Curt Schulze and I have is that the stand pipe and the filler cap are AUBURN ENGINE GREEN (a mossy glue grey green). The catch is that the underlying paint was black and they sprayed the green right over the top without any primer (thus the green peeled off over time and left the black behind).

As to the Grey engines - they appear done by the service/parts company so I would not put much weight on such either way.

JMM

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2012 00:59 #22462 by ilikescars
Oil filler tube was created by ilikescars
I was looking at some older posts and pictures. Just wondering: Is the oil filler tube supposed to be engine color, or should it be black? More trivia...

Mark

I like the black contrast, but it's prolly wrong...