Skip to main content

Heat Shields on an 851?

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2012 17:59 #21852 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Heat Shields on an 851?
I had to do a little upholstery button repair on the 1935 Auburn 851 Sedan I owned and that is now owned by Craig Birkhold - I want to say there was a piece of heavy cardboard some where in relation to the front seat frame / back cusion and it had Connersville stenciled on it.

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2012 13:31 #21850 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Heat Shields
The factory used the packing crates that they received parts in.
I have one that is stenciled on the backside Connersville and some numbers. They were thrifty, just like Henry Ford.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2012 06:29 #21847 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Heat Shields on an 851?
This is on my to do list this week for friends 852 Phaeton. Curt makes a nice set of reproductions with hardware and very reasonably priced - I have them in my hand and very nice work. The material looks like a type of Fiber Board (finished in natural). The fasteners for the lower cowl are like a flat pal-type or related type piece of rectangular sheet metal fastener (fastener in black parkerized finish and natural screws in perhaps a # 8 ). The fasteners for the removable toe board are rivets from interior through a round washer (washer in black parkerized finish and seem to be same washers that hold on cowl pads). The fiber board panels seem to match the panels on the removable Toe Board.

JMM

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2012 22:57 #21840 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Heat Shields on an 851?
They are a kind of a pressed wood material. Probably can use a 1/4" particle board. Mine is a natural finish with clear coat.

Mark

• red.auburn851
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2012 17:34 #21832 by red.auburn851
Heat Shields on an 851? was created by red.auburn851
I have found 2 pieces of wood at the bottom of the cowl, behind the engine. I think they were held on by Pal Nuts, or Tinnermans. Are they made out of wood? If so, what kind and how are they finished?

Thanks,

Marcus