Skip to main content

Auburn number plate found - can you decipher?

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2011 23:20 #21294 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Auburn number plate found - can you decipher?
Keep digging, there has to be a car in there somewhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2011 15:39 #21292 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Auburn number plate found - can you decipher?
Hello. This is from a 1931 Auburn 8-98-A Pheaton Sedan by serial number this car is presently not known to survive. Randy Ema

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2011 13:25 #21291 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: Auburn number plate found - can you decipher?

greg95945 wrote: Today I was digging out a stump in my yard, and found various things in the dirt. A ceramic base 5 pin power vacuum tube (no glass) from the 40's, a chrome plated fishing spoon with the hook rusted away, pieces of plate glass mirror, bits of pottery, and a small rectangle of metal, 2" x 4 3/8".

Upon examination, the metal plate turns out to be a number plate with the name Auburn on it.
It has the Auburn shield logo, and three sets of numbers stamped into the metal:
MODEL P S D
<unreadable caption> 98A11142H
<unreadable> No. GU42877
Auburn Automobile Company
Auburn, Indiana USA

Does anyone know what and when this is from? I don't see any reference to PSD in the Auburn entry in Wikipedia.
Here's a picture. I dampened the metal to make it more readable.

Thanks!
Greg

I am a 1934 - 1935 guy, but I believe the dataplate is from a 1931 8-98A
the H designates phaeton.

I notice that the center bar on the tag is longer. I always thought the dataplates on early cars (pre 1934 ) the bars were all the same length and the 34-36 cars the center bar extended forward. Can some one streighten me out on this?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

More
31 Oct 2011 13:15 #21290 by Al Light
Replied by Al Light on topic Auburn Number Plate Found
The GU42877 indicates the lycoming engine model GU that powered the 1931, 32, &amp; 33 Auburn models 8-98, 8-100, &amp; 8-101.
Al Light, <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

• greg95945
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2011 06:03 #21289 by greg95945
Today I was digging out a stump in my yard, and found various things in the dirt. A ceramic base 5 pin power vacuum tube (no glass) from the 40's, a chrome plated fishing spoon with the hook rusted away, pieces of plate glass mirror, bits of pottery, and a small rectangle of metal, 2" x 4 3/8".

Upon examination, the metal plate turns out to be a number plate with the name Auburn on it.
It has the Auburn shield logo, and three sets of numbers stamped into the metal:
MODEL P S D
<unreadable caption> 98A11142H
<unreadable> No. GU42877
Auburn Automobile Company
Auburn, Indiana USA

Does anyone know what and when this is from? I don't see any reference to PSD in the Auburn entry in Wikipedia.
Here's a picture. I dampened the metal to make it more readable.

Thanks!
Greg