852 won't start when hot

• mikemcclelland
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jul 2011 12:53 #20417 by mikemcclelland
Replied by mikemcclelland on topic 852 won't start when hot
I sent out the generator and starter to be rebuilt and should have them back in the next 10 days or so. Once I reinstall I hope the problem goes away...will let you know and thanks for the continued interest. Mike

Support the ACD Museum!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
06 Jul 2011 12:49 #20416 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic starting
So, Mike, how did it work out? Starting improved?

• mikemcclelland
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
15 Jun 2011 00:16 #20296 by mikemcclelland
Replied by mikemcclelland on topic Thanks
Thanks for the help...I've tightened everything and am pulling the starter and generator to have them rebuilt...hopefully that will do the trick!

Support the ACD Museum!

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2011 06:32 #20279 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Won't start hot.
Make sure your cables are tight on the battery posts. I had new cables made and had trouble starting the car, usually when it was hot. Turned out that when I tightened up the nuts on the cables at the battery I used a US size socket. The socket was too big for the hole the nut fit in and would bind in the hole when I tightened it. I then thought it was tight, it wasn't. The nut was metric and slightly smaller. It tightened right up when I used a metric socket. I have had no more trouble!

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2011 01:21 #20276 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Starter
Mike: I had the same problem with my 35 Cabriolet, and I thought the starter was rebuilt. Just to make sure, I brought it to an excellent auto electric shop in Arlington Heights. When he took it apart, he found that the internal ground was corroded slightly, enough to cause a poor connection. He soldered it together (it had been rivited at the factory), cleaned up the armature and put in new brushes. Now the car starts perfectly every time, even when it's hot.

I found the same problem in another starter I had. It's easy to be fooled by an pretty paint job on these old parts, so it's best to have them gone through once in awhile.

Mark

• mikemcclelland
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
13 Jun 2011 23:59 #20275 by mikemcclelland
852 won't start when hot was created by mikemcclelland
I thought it was time to get my 1936 852 back on the road after the winter. It started right up after sitting for several months and I drove it around the neighborhood. Then brought it home, shut it off and tried to start it. One little half grunt, then nothing. It did this last year but I thought I cured it. I've checked all the connections...made such they are clean and the cables are the right size, etc. By the way, if I put a booster jumper on it, it takes right off. The battery is a one year old Optima. I'd appreciate any ideas on how to correct this. Thanks, Mike

Support the ACD Museum!