31 Auburn rack and pinion conversion

• Douce
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
19 Nov 2010 22:58 #18472 by Douce
Replied by Douce on topic 31 Auburn rack and pinion conversion
We plan to do this conversion in a way that we do not actually modify any part of the vehicle. The new crossmember will bolt to the frame using existing holes, and we will remove the steering box and linkage and add whatever we need to in order to get the shaft from the steering wheel to mate to the rack.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2010 21:33 #18463 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic 31 Auburn rack and pinion conversion
it seems that the conversion can't be avoided but maybe you can guide your customer in a way that the original parts are NOT ALTERED in a way that is irreversible, the owner is trusting you, so please guide him in a way to make him clear that it will cost more to alter a original part, instead of creating a new one from scratch. Let's hope, he sells them on e-bay or keeps them with the car, just tell him to keep 'em since they have a value to other enthusiast.

My thought is that; an owner can do manny things to a car, but is should be reversible without a hint later on and give the following owner the chance to rebuild to original if he wishes. :(

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

• Douce
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2010 12:32 #18460 by Douce
I'm not one to argue with a customer, how well or not well the steering box works is irrelevant...... he wants to make it better, and he wants to do it by putting in a rack and pinion. We have already mocked up a cross-member that will bolt to the frame to support the rack, it looks like it should quite well.

• jamesbartlett
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2010 06:41 #18459 by jamesbartlett
Replied by jamesbartlett on topic Steering Box
I will add that I cruise my '35 S/C Auburn at 60-70 miles per hour and the steering is just fine. I've run 80-85 on a couple of occasions. Might your client have a steering alignment issue? It would be helpful to know what he means by the steering "can't keep up."

'35 Auburn S/C Convert. Sedan
'32 Duesenberg D/C Phaeton

• Douce
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
17 Nov 2010 12:31 #18439 by Douce
Thanks for the replies guys... I have to say I agree completely. Unfortunately the decision is not mine, the owner has made his choice and I am left to work out the details. The car is bit of a "hot rod" as it is, we already built an aluminum sheet metal intake manifold and 1 off header for it a few years ago, and just recently modified the intake manifold to accept a pair of Stromberg 97's

As for the original box, I'm glad to know it can be rebuilt. The owner has explained to me that when driving at any speed over 50kms/h the steering can't keep up and makes the car hard to control.

I was hoping someone out there would have a little bit of insight into this conversion.

• silverghost
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 Nov 2010 05:23 #18434 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Save the old steering box !
A 1931 Auburn should NOT be converted into a hotrod/streetrod at any cost !!!!

I agree 100% with the above post~

Please do all you can to save the old steering gear box !

The car will be worth much more than it would if you installed a Mustang II rack & pinion setup !

The later conversion should be considered a hotrod conversion and should be avoided at all costs on such a rare and valuable Classic car !
Most, if not all, here will cringe at the very thought of a Musting II Rack & Pinion Conversion !

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• jamesbartlett
  • Registered
More
17 Nov 2010 03:15 #18428 by jamesbartlett
Replied by jamesbartlett on topic Steering Box Repair
You need to define what you mean by "dead." The original Ross steering box (provided that's what you have) was highly regarded in its day, was very simple, and I am told that it was even variable-ratio to some extent. I rebuilt mine on a '35 Auburn by having the sector shaft spray-welded and then turned back down to original size, with a new sector-shaft bushing pressed into the housing, incorporating a recess to accept an o-ring seal that enabled me to fill the box with oil, rather than grease. Clearance between the two was a half-thousandth. If I remember correctly, the steering shaft itself rode on ball bearings, which I replaced. I did not turn down the races they rode in, but could have done so easily if needed. The end result was the elimination of most of the steering wheel play, and an exceptionally easy-turning wheel. I was really surprised at how well it turned out. This work was done by a shop that specialized in rebuilding truck steering boxes, at a cost of less than $400, though it was about 10 years ago. If the worm and nut in the steering box are still OK, I think this repair approach would be easier than trying to graft something together, and it offers the added benefit of preserving originally and avoiding the nightmare of trying to mate the original steering column, steering wheel, etc. to a modern non-compatible box

'35 Auburn S/C Convert. Sedan
'32 Duesenberg D/C Phaeton

• Douce
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
16 Nov 2010 23:16 #18421 by Douce
no one has any info on this?

• Douce
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
15 Nov 2010 22:58 #18406 by Douce
Looking for a bit of info... hoping you guys can help.

We have a 1931 Auburn in the shop now for a Mustang 2 rack conversion, the old steering box is dead and the owner wants to upgrade. I'm looking for any pictures of similar swaps... hoping to make my life a little easier

Thanks,
Justin