• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Nov 2010 01:22 #18407 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Boat~Tail Speedster 1970s Huntingdon Valley PA
Chirs:
I sent an email to Dr. Simeone's Museum about two weeks ago asking about their Speedster's ownership history. In it I detailed the above story from the 1970s~~ It does look similar to the car in question~
There has been no reply !

BUT~
To my memory Simeone's car looks more like the car I remember from the Pollock Pottstown Auto Showcase Museum Collection (Bill Pollock ) from that same time period.
Dad and I knew Bill and his chief restorer as well as most of his great collection very well.
I suspect that Simeone's came out of Bill's Pottstown PA museum ?
There were then two later production cream-colored Auburn Boat-tailed Supercharged Speedsters in this part of PA in the 1970s !
Bill's would often attend local car events.

There was a third speedster off Pine Road near my home in PA during this time period.
It was a much earlier model with a lighter colored paint job~ More of an off-white.
It was an original~But in rougher shape !
This was owned by a local car collector who had a dozen collector cars.
He often bought & sold cars on a regular basis.
One of his cars was a Duesenberg Model "J" that was deep red with black trim.
Anyone remember this model "J" ?
I am sure it's around today~
It should be a well known car !
I believe it was sold to Don Williams or Richie and went to the Blackhawk or Imperial Palace collection ?
This "J" may have been later sold to D. Kruse in that infamous Duesenberg package deal !

The Huntingdon Valley/ Hollywood PA mystery car never attended any car events !
It vanished off my radar in 1977 ~

There has to be some record of this car out there~~~ Again I believe this Speedster was bought new by the woman's family.
Do any Auburn factory or dealer delivery records still exist today ?

In the ACD club or Museum ?
OR~
With Randy Ema ?

Guys~ This speedster has to be out there !
It may still be hidden in my area ?

The search continues~

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Nov 2010 13:09 #18402 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Boat~Tail Speedster 1970s Huntingdon Valley PA
I suggested to Brad the car in the Simeone Museum, although that's just a guess...I don't know that car's history. It does fit the description.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
15 Nov 2010 10:31 #18397 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Boat~Tail Speedster 1970s Huntingdon Valley PA
You might try Allen Strong in Urbana Il. He has a list of the first 50 speedsters produced. Don't know if he has a list of more Speedsters.

Mark

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
15 Nov 2010 04:46 #18394 by silverghost
I am a new ACD forum member here!
My 92 y/o Father was an early Classic car collector since 1950 and attended the very first Hershey meet when it was entirely heald in the old stadium. There were only 6-7 flea market vendors at that time! I have been around these great cars all my life~
I attended almost every Hershey event since I was born. I remember well the cow-pasture and cow-patty & mud days. I also remember the Hershey FBO small aircraft airport.
I am 55 y/o. & also a Classic, & Brass-Era collector.

In the early 1970s there was an original later production Auburn Boat-Tailed Supercharged Speedster in Huntingdon Valley / Hollywood PA. ( just outside North East Philadelphia )
The car was cream or off-white in color.
An older woman, who was it's owner used this car for everyday trips to the Huntingdon Valley Shopping Center; and for trips to the supermarket or bank . She drove this great car both Summer & Winter. The convertable top was always down year around & she wore an old long black fur coat.
She parked the Auburn Speedster, always with it's top down, in a regular shopping center parking space.
What a sight to behold this great car was in this parking lot of the early 1970s !
It was like looking at a time-machine comming into the 1970s future !
Everyone seemed stunned to see this car, but to it's owner it was an everyday driver !
She was not fazed by the attention the car received one bit !
Both the great car , and the lady, were a regular fixture around here in those days.
The paint , then dull and chalking, was all original, as was the interior & top. The chrome was dull and slightly pitted.
I would often see the woman with this great Speedster on my days-off from Drexel University & University of Pennsylvania.
I spoke to her once at this time and I believe her family to be the Speedter's original owner.
She stated that she had turned-down many offers from potential buyers over the years !
The only thing new on the car were it's tires at this time.
I saw the car come and go from about 1971 to about 1977.

I attended all the local tri-state PA. NY NJ Car Show events in those days, New Hope Pa, Hershey, etc. and this Speedster never attended any shows.

Around 1977 or so I sadly lost track of this great ORIGINAL Auburn Boat-Tailed Supercharged Speedster.
I have not seen nor heard about it since !

Here are my questions to the ACD club membership ?

Does anyone know of such a speedster that was located in Huntingdon Valley or Hollywood Pa just outside North East Philadelphia during this time period?

Are there any extant factory records of such a car being shipped to my area ?
Randy Ema or the ACD museum may know this answer?

Does an original Supercharged later production cream colored Boat-tailed Speedster still exist on any ACD club record today ?

I have contacted Chris Summers your great new historian about this speedter.

I really hope that this car does in fact still exist !

Could it be in some colector's hands now ; or in a car museum ?

Or maybe,~~~
just maybe,~~~
Might it just still be sitting in some lonely carriage house or garage still in my old home town !

Dad & I have often wondered what ever became of this great Supercharged Auburn Boat-Tailed Speedster~

We suspect some ACD Cub member may know of the great Speedster's fate ! ?

It is the type of original car that we all still dream about finding some day !

Any information or history on this great Speedster will be greatly appreciated !

Thank You !
Brad Hunter
215 947 4676
<a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector