Skip to main content

regarding oil filter cartridge 8-98

• 61xlch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2010 19:10 #17180 by 61xlch
Replied by 61xlch on topic regarding oil filter cartridge 8-98
Thanks a lot, Mike. Great help. I will try so....

Andreas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2010 02:33 #17169 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic regarding oil filter cartridge 8-98
Andreas,

The numbers I took off my rear wheel bearings are Timkem numbers, you will need 1 of each item per size

Bearing # 3387
Race # 3320
As far as the seal goes, to my knowledge, it is no longer available. I took measurements and spent a fair amount of time on the internet looking before I came to this. The seal I used was a CR (Chicago Rawhide) # 17672. This is a modern seal with the right inside diameter for the axle shaft but the outside diameter was a little small for the axle housing. You will have to adapt it. In my case, I turned down a large washer to press fit into the axle housing then bonded the new seal to it with JB Weld. They have been in there for a few years now with no issues. You could also machine a spacer to press the seal into then press the whole thing into the axle. When I took mine apart, the previous workman had soldered shim stock to the outside of the original type 2 piece seal case and pressed that in. I tried re-using that set up with no success.

Good luck.

Mike
8-100A

• 61xlch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Jun 2010 09:14 #17079 by 61xlch
:) Thanks Mike, possibly you will find the measurements or numbers of the seal rings too?

Best wishes

Andreas

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2010 19:46 #17075 by Mike Dube
Andreas,

Sorry, I didn't read your post closely enough: As discussed previously, you do have the 2 speed axle. I will try to find those bearing #'s for you. I am sure I wrote them down, the trouble will be remembering where I put them.

Mike
8-100A

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2010 11:35 #17071 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic regarding oil filter cartridge 8-98

Steve Miller wrote:

Curt Schulze wrote:

Steve Miller wrote: I was just wondering about the screws because in the "Auburn Parts List" book that I have they are referred to as "cylinder side plate capscrews" PN SH-404 and SH-404 1/2. I always thought a capscrew was a bolt, but I do like the look of the slotted screws a lot.

SH404 1/2 is a 1/4 - 2 8 x 9/16 round Slot Head screw. It is the same p/n uasd in 1934 to mid 1935 engines with a cylinder side plate.

You don't happen to know the length of the SH-404 do you?
Thanks

1/2 inch

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Steve Miller
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2010 01:34 #17069 by Steve Miller
Replied by Steve Miller on topic regarding oil filter cartridge 8-98

Curt Schulze wrote:

Steve Miller wrote: I was just wondering about the screws because in the "Auburn Parts List" book that I have they are referred to as "cylinder side plate capscrews" PN SH-404 and SH-404 1/2. I always thought a capscrew was a bolt, but I do like the look of the slotted screws a lot.

SH404 1/2 is a 1/4 - 2 8 x 9/16 round Slot Head screw. It is the same p/n uasd in 1934 to mid 1935 engines with a cylinder side plate.

You don't happen to know the length of the SH-404 do you?
Thanks

ACD Club Life Member
If it ain't six volt, I'm probably not interested

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
16 Jun 2010 19:56 #17065 by Mike Dube
Andreas,

I think the bearings are a bit smaller diameter in the single speed than they are in the dual ratio. I don't think the numbers on mine would do you any good.

Mike
8-100A

• 61xlch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Jun 2010 18:19 #17064 by 61xlch

Mike Dube wrote: Andreas,

As far as the rear oil seals go, you may be in better shape with the single speed axle. The 2 speed seals do not exist and most folks I know made their own. It seems to me someone told me Stan Gilliland had the seals for the single speed rear end. Once you get the bearings out, you can probably use the numbers off them to get new ones. I had no problem finding the 2-speed axle's bearings.

Good point, Mike. I forgot to tell I have a not original two speed rear end in my car.
You dont remember the numbers of the bearings? I would like to find all parts before disassembling the axle.

Thanks
Andreas

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
16 Jun 2010 11:22 #17061 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic regarding oil filter cartridge 8-98

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Steve Miller
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Jun 2010 02:08 #17059 by Steve Miller
I was just wondering about the screws because in the "Auburn Parts List" book that I have they are referred to as "cylinder side plate capscrews" PN SH-404 and SH-404 1/2. I always thought a capscrew was a bolt, but I do like the look of the slotted screws a lot.

ACD Club Life Member

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
15 Jun 2010 22:48 #17058 by Mike Dube
Andreas,

As far as the rear oil seals go, you may be in better shape with the single speed axle. The 2 speed seals do not exist and most folks I know made their own. It seems to me someone told me Stan Gilliland had the seals for the single speed rear end. Once you get the bearings out, you can probably use the numbers off them to get new ones. I had no problem finding the 2-speed axle's bearings.

The screws on the water jacket cover look pretty much as they are supposed to as far as I can tell. They aren't bolts or cap screws originally.

Mike
8-100A

• 61xlch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Jun 2010 18:52 #17055 by 61xlch

Mike Dube wrote: Andreas,

The oil filter is the tin can in the picture right above your waterpump/generator. You replace the whole unit it doesn't come apart. These things are getting kind of hard to find and when you do they usually aren't cheap. A number of us over here are using a somewhat later accessory version that looks similar but with a removeable top with a replaceable cartridge. I found mine @ a flea market (autojumble).

Good luck.

Thanks Mike, I will try to find one.

Regarding the screws some gearheads around here will know more...?

Regards,
Andreas

• Steve Miller
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
15 Jun 2010 13:08 #17050 by Steve Miller
I was wondering about that photo, shouldn't those screws holding the side plate on be cap screws or bolts instead?
Thanks

ACD Club Life Member

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
15 Jun 2010 02:16 #17049 by Mike Dube
Andreas,

The oil filter is the tin can in the picture right above your waterpump/generator. You replace the whole unit it doesn't come apart. These things are getting kind of hard to find and when you do they usually aren't cheap. A number of us over here are using a somewhat later accessory version that looks similar but with a removeable top with a replaceable cartridge. I found mine @ a flea market (autojumble).

Good luck.

Mike
8-100A

• 61xlch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2010 18:54 #17047 by 61xlch
regarding oil filter cartridge 8-98 was created by 61xlch
Hello,

I need some support again.

At first I am looking for the oil filter cartridge of my 8-98.

In the service manual is written about a cartridge behind the oil pressure regulator.
Additional there is a kind of closed tin can at RH of engine, see pic:

What is actually the oil filter element? Anybody knows the size or a manufact. number of it?

Second question:
My rear axle starts oiling at wheel spinners. I would like to find new oil seal rings and wheel bearings before removing the axle shafts. Does anybody know the size of these oil seal rings and wheel bearings?

Thanks in advance

Andreas