• kendou
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
13 Jun 2010 16:56 #17045 by kendou
Hi Andreas
Thanks for your reply.

Must admit to have never heard of an Auburn until we came across this frame, it was just about to be taken away by the scrap man !

We may not know much about old automobiles but we just knew it was a crime if this was melted down so we made the farmer a much better offer.

We have no idea what we are going to do with it, we didn't think about that at the time.

Neither of us are old vehicle enthusiasts so we have no interest in restoring it but I must admit after looking at this forum and looking at pictures we are most impressed with the beauty and quality of this vehicle and its given us the bug to track down more information and pieces for this one.

We have tracked down the site that this frame was bought from twenty years ago and we think we have found the ignition distributor in a local bicycle shop so the hunt is on.

How did so many of these vehicles find their way around the world ? and could there be any Wartime connection or Le Mans racing circuit connection as we are between the D Day landing sites and Le Mans ?

We have just found a number on the front of the frame which appears to read 11068 but its very faint.

More answers please guys.

Many thanks Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2010 13:33 #17044 by 61xlch
Ken:

31 Auburn seems to be pretty popular as hay trailers in Europe.
Sometimes ago I purchased a set of wheels incl. hubs and brakes in Switzerland - also from a hay trailer. Unfortunatly the seller did cut the axles because I did not know these were original. After receiving I found out these were original.

Regarding the frame: there should be stamped number on RH frame rail just behind the front axle. But if this number helps for identification? Its not the VIN.
What are you gonna doing with this chassis? A "Special" or boattail roadster?

Good luck

Andreas

More
07 Jun 2010 13:35 #17018 by alsancle
I like the reinforcements. Not much travel on that axle either!

• kendou
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jun 2010 19:34 #17013 by kendou
Hi there

A friend of mine has found and purchased an Auburn rolling chassis in Normandy France.

He found it in a farmyard where it had been used as a hay trailer with a welded framework on top !!

He is in the process of transporting it some ten miles to his place after cutting away many years of vegetation etc.

From the photos he has shown me the knock on/off wheel nuts (on wire wheels) seem to be the 1931 pattern (from my research on the web) Auburn name with lines through it with three rivets holding the badge on.

It appears to be right hand drive, the tyre sizes are 29 x 6.50 on red wheels while the chassis appears to be a blue/green.
The wheelbase is approx 128 inches and the track 67 inches the rear chassis overhang is 29 inches.

No other information at the moment other than it looks very similar to the V12 chassis in the photos from the Auburn museum.

No other parts are on site the farmer bought it as it is many years ago.

Any help or information with identification or where to find a chassis number etc would be most welcome.

Thanks Ken Murphy (England)

Some Images: