Skip to main content

distributor centrifugal advance 35 supercharged Auburn

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2010 22:10 #16982 by mikespeed35
Distributor machine says my dist. is advanced 5.5 at 1800 RPM and 7 degrees at 2000 RPM. Car runs good so I left it there. That was 4000 miles ago. Just another opinion. Looks like you will have to try it for our self.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2010 12:12 #16978 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic IGH4027

mikespeed35 wrote: The spec. you are looking for are Full advance of 5.5 degrees at 2200 RPM. This is for a 1936 Auburn Supercharged. This is according to the AEA Tune Up Chart. This is dist. degrees at dist. RPM.
CORDially Mike

It has been my observation that even though the book calls out for 5.5 degrees @ 2200 rpm the stiffness of the stock springs do not allow that. As I recall it would barely advance 2 degrees at 5000 rpm. Three IGH4027's were tested all were identical. Just for grins, we replaced the springs from of an IGP4002; the advance curve changed significantly. When we put the distributor in the car it ran lousy. The stiff IGH4027 springs were replaced and remain there today.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2010 03:00 #16977 by mikespeed35
The spec. you are looking for are Full advance of 5.5 degrees at 2200 RPM. This is for a 1936 Auburn Supercharged. This is according to the AEA Tune Up Chart. This is dist. degrees at dist. RPM.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
27 May 2010 23:17 #16911 by ilikescars
I asked an old-time engine guy about this, and he said that there wouldn't be much difference if you changed the spring tension on these cars. He did show me a catalogue with different springs with varying tensions and they are designated by the color of the spring...

Mark

• Lee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 May 2010 23:12 #16910 by Lee
Replied by Lee on topic setting
Hi Mark, the advancement can be calibrated by changing spring tension and while using a distributor machine; my request is if there is a guild line for the spring calibration...

think driver; look at others

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
27 May 2010 23:05 #16909 by ilikescars
Hi, Lee: I didn't think there was a setting. The weights are fixed on single posts. The spring tension can be changed by installing different spring types, however.

Mark

• Lee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 May 2010 04:55 #16900 by Lee
Hi folks,
anyone know the best setting for the distributor mechanical centrifugal advance for a '35 supercharged Auburn...I've looked in motor manuals and they either don't say anything or seem off in their info...Lee

think driver; look at others