Auburn's secret fastener decoder

• Brad Hoskins
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 May 2010 01:03 #16724 by Brad Hoskins
Replied by Brad Hoskins on topic Auburn's secret fastener decoder
Joel

Thanks for the info , much appreciated! I thought it might be something simple but I just couldn't see the pattern!, Especially on the bolt/screw length. 16th's who knew!
Any chance you could scan and email me (or post on the website) the three pages you have?
Hoping there might be some other fasteners that I can cross reference to the 31.

Thanks
Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JOEL GIVNER
  • Registered
More
10 May 2010 14:01 #16716 by JOEL GIVNER
Replied by JOEL GIVNER on topic Auburn's secret fastener decoder
Brad,

For example a NF-7 is a 7/16 National Fine SAE hex nut. In the beginning of the Auburn 125, 8-95,6-85 parts book is a three page "bible" for the coding.
As a short not complete example: The first letter represents the group to which the part belongs and when there are several styles to a group, a second letter is used to represent that style. thus first letter N is for nuts, B for bolts, S for screws, W for washers to name a few. The first digit of the number represents the size of the part in 16th. Teh second digit represents the length in 8ths. Thus a 5/16 x 1 1/4 screw would be numbered SA-510. Then to make things a little more complicated a Letter designation can be added at the end to designate material and finish. example SA-510B would be the example above in brass.

JEG

• Brad Hoskins
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 May 2010 03:50 #16677 by Brad Hoskins
Auburn's secret fastener decoder was created by Brad Hoskins
Looking at trying to put paper bags in the garage into some semblance of a car.
That's the way it came!
So I go to the back of the parts list for the 8-98 and 8-98A and there is a section titled standard and special parts. Does anyone have a cross reference that describes the standard fasteners sizes they are referring to?
For instance I'm looking at the items NA to NS which are obviously standard parts since they only have the single digit after them. (IE engine support mounting bolt nut NF-7)

I wish Auburn had hired the guy who did the parts list for our McLaughlin Buick. Every fastener is described by its diameter, tpi and length. Heck, even the wiring ( see last post) is described by individual wire colour , length and guage.
(Yes, that car came in pieces too , it is an inherited affliction!)

Thanks
Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet