Skip to main content

auburn 8-105 engine ignition and cam timing

• mason maynard
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2010 02:43 #16065 by mason maynard
auburn 8-105 engine ignition and cam timing was created by mason maynard
the GU series lycoming 8 was used from 1931 thru 1933. the salon 8 engine is designated as GC. it is basically a GU, with the following changes: downdraft carburation, engine mounting and flywheel size.
The last one, flywheel size is the subject here, as you will read.
In the paperwork concerning the new GC series engine it mentions the changes; and states the flywheel tooth count: GU 97 teeth,GC 110 teeth.
It then gives the information on ignition timing and cam timing.HOWEVER, it does NOT take into account the fact that as the tooth count changed, so will the perscribed # of teeth for timing the ignition or camshaft.
If you investigate this error you will find that ALL published paperwork, origionating from Auburn Automobile Co., or in any non-related service manuals repeated this error.
To correct this problem all we need to do is a little math. Divide 97 by 360 and this will give us our tooth count for a given # of degrees. do the same for the GC engine: 110 divided by 360. You will then have the correct tooth count for your engine settings.
By the way, I found my GC engine cam timing was 6 degrees retarded.
With the cylinder head off set 1 dial indicator on #1 piston. Rotate the crankshaft to find true top dead center. (this is accomplished by rotating the crank BOTH directions and finding the spot where the dial indicator stops moving.)
Next set the camshaft using the dial indicator on the intake valve. (be sure to set your lifter at the valve timing chack dimension, which I think is .010.) (Forgive me I did this a year ago)
We want the intake to just start opening.
Next we will set the crank at its specified tooth count. Install the timing chain and gears, following the specified tooth count between marks on the gears.
If you cannot get the gears on the large timing gear and pin on the end of the camshaft will have to be modified to allow you to install a readilly available offset timing setup that is used on small block Chevies.
It costs less than 20 dollars. If you require more info on how to do this feel free to contact me. I will gladly walk anyone thru this simple minior modification.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.