Skip to main content

1931 AUBURN WITH FREE WHEEL AND 2 SPEED

More
08 Jan 2010 21:04 #15503 by 61xlch
Replied by 61xlch on topic Re: 2 speed parts

K Clark wrote: I might have a few parts, I have a 32 8-100 A that I'm slowly working on. But I have the rear axle done and the vacuum switch, I think I had some extra parts. I will try to take a look. ( I do not know if they are the same)
K Clark

..let me know, if you find some parts, thanks,
Andreas
(<a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url])

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2010 17:53 #15489 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic 1931 AUBURN WITH FREE WHEEL AND 2 SPEED
STEVE,

IN THEORY THE FREE WHEELING UNIT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA, ACTUALLY DRIVING ONE WITH FREE WHEELING ENGAGED IS A DIFFERENT MATTER. IT DOES HAVE THE ADVANTAGE THAT CARS FROM THE FACTORY WITH FREE WHEELING HAD LARGER BRAKES TO MAKE UP FOR THE LACK OF ENGINE DECELERATION DURING BRAKING, WHICH IS GOOD, BUT THE UNIT IS ESSENTIALLY A LARGE STEEL SPRING WHICH WINDS TIGHT AND GRABS AS ENGINE POWER IS APPLIED AND REVERSES THE PROCESS WHEN THE ACCELERATOR IS LET OFF ALLOWING THE CAR TO COAST WITOUT ENGINE BRAKING.
HOWEVER THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE IS BEST DESCRIBED AS IF A MODERN AUTOMATIC OVERDRIVE TRANS CONTINULLY SHIFTED BACK AND FORTH INTO AND OUT OF OVERDIVE WITH A VERY! NOTICEABLE JERK AND HARD CLUNK EVER TIME POWER IS APPILED, I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT SEEMED VERY VERY HARD ON THE DRIVE TRAIN, AND BASICALLY DROVE LIKE CRAP WITH F/W ENGAGED.
ONE OTHER ADVANTAGE IS THAT IF YOU WISH TO TO TOW YOUR CAR ON A FIFTH WHEEL DOLLY TYPE TRAILER(REAR WHEELS ON ROAD) THE FREE WHEELING UNIT EFFECTIVELLY ISOLATES THE TRANS FROM TURNING AND ALLOWS LONG DISTANCE TOWING WITHOUT DANGER OF DAMAGE TO THE TRANMISSION,

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

• Visitor
07 Jan 2010 00:02 #15473 by
Replied by on topic 2 speed parts
I might have a few parts, I have a 32 8-100 A that I'm slowly working on. But I have the rear axle done and the vacuum switch, I think I had some extra parts. I will try to take a look. ( I do not know if they are the same)
K Clark

More
06 Jan 2010 21:16 #15472 by 61xlch
Replied by 61xlch on topic 1931 AUBURN WITH FREE WHEEL AND 2 SPEED
..same problem to me.
I am still looking for all parts needed for shifting the rear end, as vacuum valves, switch lever, a.s.o.

Somebody can help?

Thanks
Andreas

• kiwi851
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Dec 2009 23:07 #15401 by kiwi851
Replied by kiwi851 on topic 1931 AUBURN WITH FREE WHEEL AND 2 SPEED
Thanks for feedback...thats what I needed to know
Steve

More
24 Dec 2009 14:24 #15387 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic 1931 AUBURN WITH FREE WHEEL AND 2 SPEED
Hello Steve:
My 1932 Auburn is factory equipped with a two speed and free wheeling. There is a vacuum valve attached to the free wheeling unit and it's shift lever which will not allow vacuum to the rear end unless the car is in the free wheeling position. When you move the High/Low dash lever while in direct drive, nothing happens. It will only change ratios while in free wheeling in order to protect the rear end gears. The operating instructions state this procedure and also state that the rear end ratios should only be shifted at speeds of 30 miles per hour or less.

To change ratios, depress the clutch and shift to free wheeling by pulling the short lever back toward the seat, let off the gas, and then turn your dash selector lever. You will hear the gears shift in the rear end, but you should not hear any gnashing of gears. If you hear that, something is not working properly and requires investigation.

Kindest regards,
Steve Stevens

• Greg Frownfelter
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2009 03:47 #15378 by Greg Frownfelter
Replied by Greg Frownfelter on topic 1931 AUBURN WITH FREE WHEEL AND 2 SPEED
I believe the two can be used together
both are shifted independantly
the rear end is either high or low
freewheeling in or out
practice with the freewheeling before going into to traffic
there is no braking action with the engine and more noticable
in high range slightly scarey a first
i think you could change the rear end in freewheeling
as long as the throttle was off and not to speedy
greg

• kiwi851
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2009 01:41 #15377 by kiwi851
I have fitted a 2 speed to my 31 8-98 Auburn. It also has a free wheeling unit. Can someone explain the correct use of these two together. I remember seeing a note somewhere that you could only change the 2 speed if in free wheeling mode but not if in positive drive. Is this correct??

Thanks
Steve