Skip to main content

Frunt end alignment Aub 1936

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
23 May 2009 19:26 #13582 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Front end allign
The first and easiest thing to do is as Steve suggests. If that dosn't work for you, there is a compelling possibility the front axel is bent. I just finished installing king pins in a cleaned and painted front axel. When I laid it up side down across to level flat surfaces ( the legs of a cherry picker) I discovered the axel rocked.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2009 02:48 #13575 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic Frunt end alignment Aub 1936
Hello Terry:
I still think the solution is in the caster. I have a set of 1934 -1936 factory service bulletins and there is bulletin dated 3/23/34 stating the the caster should be 1-2 degrees (same as the older models) and another bulletin dated 3/30/34 recommending changing it to 3.5-4 degrees (same as your manual shows). So the factory was wrestling with this issue at the time they were new. I think 3.5-4 degrees is too much.

When I bought my 1932 there were no caster shims at all and it gauged at 4 degrees, and it shimmied ocasionally at slow speeds. I installed 2 degree shims and it then gauged at 2 degrees. I haven't had the slightest shimmy in four years and 1,200 miles of driving. In that time I have had two different sets of bias ply tires on the car (Lesters before and now Bedford Coach).

I would try taking it down to the old setting of two degrees and see what that does. Let us know the results.

Good Luck,
Steve

• Terry
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 May 2009 23:54 #13572 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic Alignment
Steve the 36 calls for 3.5 to 4 degrees on the caster and that is what it was set at. thanks Terry

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
22 May 2009 23:42 #13571 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Frunt end alignment Aub 1936
Terry: Just to add my two cent's worth: I installed the caster shims on my 36 8 cyl cabriolet, but still got shimmy at 30 mph. I then put on a set of radial tires on the front, and now it runs smooth at all speeds.

The bias ply tires tend to form flat spots when they sit for awhile, and this contributes to the shake.

Mark

More
22 May 2009 23:14 #13570 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic Frunt end alignment Aub 1936
Hello Terry:
I'll bet that your caster angle is out of spec. This is adjusted with wedge shaped shims that go between the front axle and leaf springs. A single 2 degree shim on each side will probably bring it into spec. They are placed with the thick end to the rear. I don't have a shop manual for the 1936, but the 1932 shop manual calls for 1-2 degrees of caster angle. The 1936 probably isn't much different. If you need shims, let me know and I can provide you with a modern day part number that you can get through O'Rielly Auto Parts. They are about $30.00 for a pack of two. I'll bet that if you get the caster in spec., your wheel shimmy will dissapear.
Regards,
Steve Stevens
Evansville, IN

• Terry
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 May 2009 16:10 #13564 by Terry
Frunt end alignment Aub 1936 was created by Terry
Well I just had my front end aligned today and the front wheel shimmy is worse than ever.
All new front bearings and bushings, king pins new.
Steering all tight.
Instead of shimmy at 40 mph it is now at 25 mph.;
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The car is a 1936 6 cyl phaeton
thanks in advance. Terry