Skip to main content

12 versus 8 wheelbase

• teq56
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2010 04:42 #16091 by teq56
Replied by teq56 on topic interesting note
I was just reading this and thought I would add something 4 years later. The 12 engine and the 8 are almost the same in length... Remember the 12 is only 6 cylinders long... not 8.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2009 16:36 #13472 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic 12 versus 8 wheelbase
Hello Eric:
I think the fenders were the same size on both models. The twelve frames were similar in design to eight frames, but were heavier from one end to the other.
Regards,
Steve

• project1
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
13 May 2009 15:32 #13471 by project1
Replied by project1 on topic 12 versus 8 wheelbase
Many thanks for the info. I thought my name automatically appeared in the post. I've heard that 12 front fenders are also longer, but perhaps that's not the case? Also, were the 12 frames simply lengthened 8 frames, or special made? Thank you.

Eric Killorin, life member.

More
13 May 2009 15:08 #13470 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic 12 versus 8 wheelbase
Hello Stranger Without A Name:

I'm just ribbing you, but it is always courteous to close correspondence with at least a first name. You will get more responses from or members that way. Now to your questions.

I own an eight and not a twelve, so I ask the other knowledgable members to correct me if I am wrong on anything here.

The wheelbase of the twelve is 133" and eight is 127". The extra length of the twelve is from the firewall forward (engine compartment) as the bodies for both eights and twelves are the same size. The fenders, both front and rear are the same size and the extra length of the twelve frame is taken up with a longer hood and longer running boards. The twelve engine was a V design and the eight was a straight, however the V-12 block was evidently 6" longer than the straight eight.

The twelve frame is built heavier from one end to the other. It has thicker steel and slightly taller rails as well as heavier suspension members. The wheels were the same size (17"), but the twelve wheel has 60 spokes and the eight has 48.

All the above would apply to all body styles including the speedster.

Kindest regards,
Steve Stevens
Evansville, IN

• project1
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
02 May 2009 14:18 #13398 by project1
12 versus 8 wheelbase was created by project1
I've read conflicting info on the actual wheelbase dimensions for the early thirties Auburn 12 and 8 cylinder models. For example, did the Speedster wheelbase differ for the two engine sizes, presumably to accomodate the larger motor? Were all models so effected? And if different, where on the frame location was the wheelbase lengthened? Thanks for any clarification.