Skip to main content

Conversions

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2009 12:21 #12900 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Coupe cabriolet conversion
Coupes started out live as a cabriolet not the other way around. There is a subframe the bodies are welded to. The effort the factory would have to go through to accomplish the result that is suggested would be cost prohibitive. Today cabriolets are worth more than coupes. It is common for restorers to make some modifications to a coupe and create a cabriolet. There are some telltale signs though.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• executivehouse
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2009 17:35 #12883 by executivehouse
Conversions was created by executivehouse
Can anyone clarify a question. I was told (see note below) that in the 1936 model year, the last year of production, that Auburn would when they received a special order, they would make it from existing stock. I.e: Take a coupe and take the body off from the cowl back and replace it with a cabriolet body. Would they not have replaced the cowl body tag? Is there a way to verify?

"THIS IS THE WAY THE FACTORY BUILT CARS IN 1936, THE LAST YEAR OF PRODUCTION. IN THERE LAST YEAR OF PRODUCTION THEY WOULD TAKE ANY SPECIAL ORDER AND MAKE IT FROM EXISTING STOCK. THIS IS THE WAY THE CAR CAME FROM THE FACTORY. I HAVE HAD SEVERAL AUBURN OWNERS LOOK AT MY CAR AND THEY ALSO OWN CABRIOLETS. THIS IS WHAT THEY TOLD ME. HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR CONCERN.
BEST REGARDS"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.