1935 Auburn "Clementine"

• nklimek
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Jul 2009 20:29 #13998 by nklimek
Replied by nklimek on topic 1935 Auburn "Clementine"
therin lies the deli-ma. Even if I get real lucky and the internals are still good, the motor needs a major clean-out anyhow for all the oil paths. The desire to see it run for a minute is counter-productive, it really doesn't achieve anything other than scoring a part that may otherwise still be usable. If I can get away with just a ring job, that is good. If I do get it running I may need to pull the motor later, may as well pull it when all the metal comes off. We can clean it out, check if it's tight and then decide what it really needs. I could see if valves are stuck open, cylinders are round and if there are any interesting surprises. One must be patient, although that is not my strong suit. Anybody have a v12 laying around that might fit?

bailout auburn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Jul 2009 04:04 #13995 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 1935 Auburn "Clementine"
It was brought to my attention by another user that it would be a very good idea to remove the oil pan and clean it out as well as the oil pump pickup before trying to start it. Starting it may not clean it out but plug it up. After that I would pre lub it before start up.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• nklimek
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
15 Jul 2009 21:59 #13988 by nklimek
I do need to rotate the motor and get a feel for the resistance. The starter spins nice taken off, but it may not be putting out the torque. Ohm's law is also not a fan of cables being too small. Higher resistance lowers the voltage and increases current. I2R losses manifest themselves as a heating element. Probably need a couple of nice fat cables, assuming the motor turns reasonably. Jumper cables may be OK for a jump but too thin for a start.

Is there a cover under the flywheel? If I do get good rotation I will give it a full try- nothing to loose. Men have to see a motor run, it is part of the ritual. All the brakes were full of sludge, but the cylinders cleaned up and held pressure, no pitting inside. I'm hoping that's what the motor is doing but it has to run to really clean out the sludge.

bailout auburn

• Visitor
14 Jul 2009 18:21 #13981 by
Replied by on topic engine
I assure you that the valves are stuck open, for the fire but no umph!. So I would say you have one cylinder that has any compression. But I say you still have at least a ground problem with the battery and or starter
My 2 More cents
K Clark

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
14 Jul 2009 12:06 #13980 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Auburn Sedan
Are you sure, really sure that starter is in tip-top condition? Why don't you pull the lower clutch inspection pan and put a spanner wrench on the flywheel. You will find out right away if the engine is stuck.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Jul 2009 03:19 #13979 by mikespeed35
There is a reason it is not turning faster and pulling it behind a truck might break that reason!!
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• nklimek
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Jul 2009 01:49 #13978 by nklimek
big check on all those points. The starter was rebuilt and works like new. All the pistons and valves travel without noise. Cleaned the distributor and getting surprisingly good spark. The resistance is fairly uniform. I figure it has to be a nest in the bell housing, gunk in the timing chain or gunk in the cylinders, or all of them together. 6 volts won't push it, but on 12 it turns very slow, but fairly uniform. When it fires, it doesn't speed up, it's like it's on a dyno with a brake on it. You hear the fire, I figure a little faster turn and it would go. But the the heavy cables start smoking and I get scared that I'll fry the starter. It's lubed up good with new oil, much dumped down the spark plug holes and soaked for a few months. I don't want to try a roll start for several reason, but I may get brave and try it for grins. I could drag it behind a truck and spin it up. I think a good clean out and it would go. If it ran for a minute, circ some oil and heat it up it would probably loosen the old sludge. Could be some dirt in the bell housing acting like a caliper on the flywheel.

I would like it to run, even if poorly it makes it easy to move around. But the front clip is coming off and it looks like a very easy pull anyhow, may as well just pull the motor. I suspect it's an easy build, the head is perfect. I suspect a ring job and bearings might be it. I assume rebuild parts are available, I did an old Plymouth Flathead 6 and it was simple. Even with machining I'm not too concerned.

bailout auburn

• Visitor
13 Jul 2009 21:55 #13977 by
Replied by on topic critters
Yes Mike
I have seen that also' But if you take out the plugs and look at the end you can usually tell if there is something there especially looking into the area that can be seen through the plug hole.
He said it turned over just slowly
My 2 Cents
K Clark

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2009 18:09 #13976 by mikespeed35
Might be critter nests etc. in the cyl. They have been known to go up exaust pipes, down carbs to make nice homes in the cyl.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Visitor
13 Jul 2009 10:31 #13975 by
Replied by on topic engine
You should before you start any old engine that has not been run in many years
Make sure have gasoline pumping into the carburator
At least drain the oil, refill with new 30w non detergent
pull each spark plug drop in a couple tablespoons of oil
Make sure you have spark at the points
make sure you clean the distributor cap contacts and rotor
make sure have very clean battery connections
make sure you have very good six volt battery ( a bad six or 12 volt will not take a boost from anything)
A BAD CONNECTION WILL MAKE THE CABLES GET HOT AND ALSO THEY MUST BE OF HEAVY GAGE WIRE
( you can put a 12 volt direct in the battery box and it will spin the engine very fast if the starter is any good) BE CAREFUL
( DO NOT turn ON anything other than the ignition switch)

You must remember that you do not know the reason that this car was put away so many years ago. ( it could be the engine)

( BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE 6 and 12 VOLT BATTERIES THEY CAN
MAKE BIG SPARKS)
For Your Information (FYI)
my 2 cents
K Clark

• nklimek
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2009 02:28 #13974 by nklimek
put the 12 volts to it, but the motor only turns slowly. It popped with starter fluid, but can't spin fast enough to catch. Jumper cables were smoking, so something is fighting rotation. New oil, but I suspect the motor has old oil gunk in it. No scraping noises, I envision gunk around the rings acting like a brake. The deli ma, do I go the cheap rout and dump solvent down the pistons, or just go ahead, pull the motor. There was a strong motivation to see it run, but I'm not in a hurry anyhow. No budget!

After much meditation, the motor is coming out anyhow for detail. Even if I can get the gunk, the motor still may need work. Even if it runs, it probably won't be mobile anyhow. Have to disassemble the front clip. Without the motor, car can drag around easy. Since all the bolts turn easy, I suspect it will be an easy pull. The tyranny is tight, no play in the shifter or the rear end but old oil needs to be purged out completely. Then I can get in those tight spots and really check out all the bushings. Looks like disassemble time!

bailout auburn

• Rum-Runner
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2009 00:58 #13973 by Rum-Runner
Replied by Rum-Runner on topic 1935 Auburn "Clementine"
If this car has brakes, which it does, If it has tires, which it does, get the sucker running and bring it to Auburn for the parade. These are the kind of cars that give members an education before it is restored, you'll have fun and won't have to worry about a scratch! Great find, the sixes are good running and driving cars.

• nklimek
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2009 00:59 #13971 by nklimek
greetings, I'm back from the Buick nationals. First time out, my 54 Skylark was 10 points shy of a senior. Unfortunately it ate me alive in time and money, but now I'm ready to play with the auburn without much budget.

I left off with seeing it on eBay, but I only wanted to see it. I assumed it was a rusty pile of junk, but the metal was Excellent. Made an offer based on book values but the owner was quite disappointed- figured he had a ca brio. Nevertheless, After the toughest pull I ever had, it's sitting at my undisclosed location safely hidden from the wife. Simply the coolest 4 door sedan styling I have ever seen, bone stock you just want to go rob some banks. Latest updates, It has brakes and we have spark, just need some time to finally crank it up. The upholstery is being reproduced. Did have to slap 4 wrangler radials on it to wheel it around. Just too burned out for a frame off, but I really don't think it needs it. Every bolt turns- it's really just a dent job. Many parts did walk off, but most of it is there.

got brake lines from Wisconsin, club member has both the parts and the experience so I think this puppy can be done correct. The brake drums and shoes were like new, just seals and a clean out and the brake system works great. I am pretty sure they were never done and I'm pretty sure this is a low mileage car. Unless the motor has internal issues (old rusted rings and bearings) I might even run it without an overhaul. Someone did pop a newer crab on it and rebuild the starter 10 or so years ago and got it running. Also fount an NOS wire harness from a 30's Ford. Should have enough wire to duplicate the harness. I like top post pictures, this forum is a little tough but manageable posting pictures. Hopefully there are car nuts out there that find this interesting!

bailout auburn

• nklimek
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Apr 2009 12:47 #13265 by nklimek
Replied by nklimek on topic clementine
I saw it on eBay , but bought it direct from the owner. It bid to about 5K. I figured it would be a half fast rod body, so stopped by on a business trip. It was near Santa Fe. I got interested when I saw how good the metal was, so I offered 8K based on the gold book. Had it any rust I would have passed. It was an all day event getting it out, we had to remove a fence.

Wild Hogs, the movie was filmed there, it was the biker bar. I could probably get it on the road quick but time runs short. I did find a club member in Wisconsin with most of the parts I'm missing, I got the brake lines and a few things from him already. I tend to drag cars home faster than I finish them!

bailout auburn

• nklimek
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2009 16:59 #13226 by nklimek
Replied by nklimek on topic Clementine
Unfortunately I have to get my 1954 Skylark ready for the Buick nationals in Colorado springs July 4th. I'm better at starting projects than finishing them! At this point, I have located most the parts I need but the money crunch slowed me down a bit. Normally I'm strictly convertibles, but this car has a very appealing look, I just have a desire to restore it. There is an ACD cruise in June in Colorado, but It may be fall before it's going.
Had this car any rust, I would dump it. Normally you find lots of bad surprises as you tear into them. This car has been all good surprises, there is simply no rust. Even all the bolts turn easy. It's odd getting a car this old without rust, but it saves 90% of the hassles. I'll be posting more as I get into it.

bailout auburn

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
14 Apr 2009 15:00 #13202 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic 1935 Auburn "Clementine"
Hi, Nklimek:

You will have to get rid of that "radio delete" and install a nice Crosley radio when you get around to it! :) Good luck with the resto!

Mark

• kbenefie
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
13 Apr 2009 18:52 #13196 by kbenefie
Replied by kbenefie on topic 1935 Auburn "Clementine"
Here are some pictures that I saved from the ebay auction. Hope I wasn't stalking the car too much.

What a beautiful car. Great find!

• kbenefie
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
13 Apr 2009 18:36 #13194 by kbenefie
Replied by kbenefie on topic 1935 Auburn "Clementine"
Oh, wow, so this is where this car ended up. I'm glad it went to a good owner. Did you actually buy it from e-bay or did you buy it directly from the guy selling it? I was watching this Auburn. I saw that it didn't sell the first time and was re-listed. I then saw that it didn't sell the second time either. Was it re-listed again? I e-mailed the guy and asked if he had the car for sale off of ebay and he said he did. He told me that he wanted somewhere in the $12,000's for it. Congrats on your new purchase! Looks like you got a great car.

• Justin Kerns
  • Registered
More
03 Apr 2009 02:46 #13100 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic 1935 Auburn "Clementine"
Very nice score! I would love to help out with it but with 2 daughters under 3 I don't have much free time unfortunately. I do have a complete garage of tools including hoists and stands so if you need to use any of those items just let me know.

My email is justin.kerns "at" att.net

Justin

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• nklimek
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Mar 2009 15:27 #12919 by nklimek
Replied by nklimek on topic clementine
well, every now and then work drags me off for a bit. Clementine is ready for the brake cylinders and the start up, hopefully this weekend. you can call me at 303-868-2748, I'm in broomfield. always glad to talk cars. I now take them to my friends house, that way my wife doesn't see all the project cars. He has a paint booth but I can drag cars over faster than he can paint them. I do most of the mechanical, he does the paint and body.

The car was on eBay near Santa Fe. I was only mildly interested, but when I looked it over it's hard to pass up a rust free car, especially that old.

bailout auburn

• Justin Kerns
  • Registered
More
13 Mar 2009 04:10 #12911 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic 1935 Auburn "Clementine"
Whereabouts in Denver are you located? Did you find this car locally? Just curious as I am in Aurora.

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• nklimek
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Mar 2009 13:38 #12824 by nklimek
well, work beckons so start up day may be another week or 2 off. Did get the starter to turn the motor, but getting brakes is always #1 on the list. Ashame, as its in the 70's this week in Denver and I had to go to Arizona.

bailout auburn

• nklimek
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2009 18:18 #12786 by nklimek

seat back is real good

now back here we have rat turd city. Today is start up day!

bailout auburn

• Greg Frownfelter
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2009 01:41 #12785 by Greg Frownfelter
Replied by Greg Frownfelter on topic 1935 Auburn "Clementine"
any better shots of the trunk area
looks like you got a very nice start
greg

• nklimek
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2009 23:23 #12784 by nklimek
1935 Auburn "Clementine" was created by nklimek

Well, Clementine turned out to be a 1935. Some very nice bones. The upholstery is interesting, definitely original but perhaps not salvageable. The seat bottoms are good, but tear easily. No rust in the frames.

The motor turns with compression and no funny noises, so I believe we are ready to start this weekend. I hit the starter, it spun but the gear didn't engage the flywheel, so I've got to go in. Hopefully it's just a stuck Bendix. The e-brake cable broke, so I may rig a cable until I can get the original cables reworked. So, It will be interesting if it runs!

bailout auburn